Forefront and multiple connections RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everybody,

I need to know if MS Forefront supports multiple external connections to the Internet. Thanks.
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 4:27 PM

Answers

• Hi kinotron,

Yes you can. But you must have separate NIC for every Internet Connections, then you can create new network for them and so you must add rule for some of the user to go that network destination.
    • Proposed as answer by SAMNezami Thursday, January 7, 2010 11:42 AM
    • Marked as answer by Nick Gu - MSFT Wednesday, January 13, 2010 10:09 AM
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 11:41 AM

All replies

• Hi!
    Can you explain your question a bit more

FCS v.1 does not have network detection capabilities so i'm not sure what you are asking...or maybe i just answered your question :-)

/Johan 
    MCSE, forefront spec | www.msforefront.com
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 9:30 PM
  • Hi again!

I have Windows SBS with ISA server a two differents ADSL connections. But, ISA server only works with one connection and the another one is not being filtered. I'm looking for another alternative. thanks.
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 9:44 PM
  • Hi kinotron,

Yes you can. But you must have separate NIC for every Internet Connections, then you can create new network for them and so you must add rule for some of the user to go that network destination.
    • Proposed as answer by SAMNezami Thursday, January 7, 2010 11:42 AM
    • Marked as answer by Nick Gu - MSFT Wednesday, January 13, 2010 10:09 AM
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 11:41 AM
  • Hi SAMNeami,

Thank you for your answer. What does NIC mean? Is Network Information Center? Can I do that with ISA Server, Forefront or Both?.
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 12:30 PM
  • Hi again,

NIC means Network Interface adapter. and if you use adsl modem you can use its usb as a virtual NIC. I know that this project is operational by ISA and absolutely forefront can do because is the newer version of ISA.
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 6:34 PM
  • Thanks again,

The next TechNet http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc302678.aspx  says:

Network and Routing Issues
    <!-- -->

This section describes network and routing issues and solutions.

ISA Server Does Not Support Multiple External Interfaces

Problem : ISA Server does not support multiple external connections to the Internet.

Cause : ISA Server does not support configuring multiple connections on the External network adapter.

Solution : No workaround. There are a number of third-party products that may provide a solution. For more information, see High Availability and Load Balancing at the Windows Server System Web site .

I will study your answer. Thank you very much.

Thursday, January 7, 2010 7:08 PM
  • Hi, again
    Yes, ISA does not multiple external connection by default. but you can create your new network that has connection to internet. and when you add a rule that some user must go to ADSL number 1 go to default external and some other go to your new network that has ADSL number 2 connection with other NIC.

But if you want use it as fail over connection you must use enterprise ISA Server to use NLB.

I hope this answer be a bit clearly this question.

Best Regard

Thursday, January 7, 2010 7:21 PM