Closed Windows still displayed but wont interact RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using an HP DV7 Laptop and it seems that I get a periodic hang of closed windows in the interface that wont disappear.  Every day my laptop does this, mainly its with explorer windows, task manager or a control panel.  I'll have a few things open, then I attempt to close a window and it does close, but continues to display the window.  I can interact with things that are still open and underneath the still displaying window, however i only know this because of the clear frame.  If I wait 3-5 minutes, they tend to eventually close and no longer display.  I can sort of hurry the process up by hitting Ctrl+alt+delete then <esc> or run task manager.

Another problem caused by this is my external display resets too.  I'm pretty sure this is some kind of video driver issue, however HP has been terrible about updating video drivers for this laptop, ATI does not offer them on their site whatsoever so the version that comes built in with Win 7 is by far more up to date.  That said, I'd like to suggest that windows itself handle the problem better than it does. 
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 5:21 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You may test the issue in Clean Boot and create a new user account to test the issue.

If the issue persists, I also think the possible cause is the display card driver. Since this is a third party hardware driver, you may need to wait and install the driver for Windows 7 released by HP.

Good luck!

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 7:09 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You may test the issue in Clean Boot and create a new user account to test the issue.

If the issue persists, I also think the possible cause is the display card driver. Since this is a third party hardware driver, you may need to wait and install the driver for Windows 7 released by HP.

Good luck!

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 7:09 AM
  • I'll probably just let it go.  If it runs like this on a clean install with an out of box fresh drive, someone else is bound to have the problem and it'll get reported enough to be fixed.  I really dont have a lot of motivation to figure out what it is at this point.

Thx!

Rick
    Monday, November 9, 2009 3:40 AM