executing file without Admin privileges RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a remote location where I want a user to run  a .exe  file on Server 2008  with least privileges, I do not give him full administrative rights on that server.

How it can be achieved.?

Thanks in advance.

Monday, July 6, 2015 5:58 PM

Answers

• Problem is not directly in what user runs, but what are consequences of running exe.

Try to follow exe running with process monitor (sysinternals) and assign appropriate rights to all target objects (directories, registry,...).

Sometimes there are workarounds using GPO, schedule task, etc

Generaly try to avoid situations like allowing general user to do administrative work. IMHO there is something wrong in design.

HTH

Milos

Monday, July 6, 2015 7:19 PM

All replies

• Problem is not directly in what user runs, but what are consequences of running exe.

Try to follow exe running with process monitor (sysinternals) and assign appropriate rights to all target objects (directories, registry,...).

Sometimes there are workarounds using GPO, schedule task, etc

Generaly try to avoid situations like allowing general user to do administrative work. IMHO there is something wrong in design.

HTH

Milos

Monday, July 6, 2015 7:19 PM
  • As Milos said, if it needs administrative rights to run the exe file, it could be caused that the exe file also need to modify registry, access system file, run specific service etc with admin permission. In the end you may have to give admin permission to that user. 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 7, 2015 9:32 AM