none
Calculated field (formula)

Question

• Hi All,

I am fairly new to SharePoint Office 365 and have been developing a list which will be used as a workflow management system. One of the key components is to have a field that starts at 50,001 and sequentially grows. Once the record is created it triggers an email with the number.

Therefore, I created a calculated field within the list and set a formula to 50,000+"ID". The "ID" is the ID column the SharePoint inherently has. However, each time I enter a new record, SharePoint makes the record 50,000. Then after you refresh the page, it soon updates to the correct number. However, the email that gets triggered once the record is created still holds the incorrect value.

Can someone help me resolve this please

Some things to note:

The ID field is not an option within the Insert Column under the field formula settings

I selected a Number data type

Friday, April 7, 2017 7:08 PM

All replies

• ID is set AFTER the item has been added. At the moment when the item is being created, its value is always 0 and that is the reason for this behaviour. This is by design.

You can work around it within workflow logic. Move the calculation from the column (or if you want to keep column, duplicate it) in the workflow itself.  Please check out this post for steps:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5327299/id-field-doesnt-automatically-update

Saturday, April 8, 2017 2:32 PM
  • Hi asw225,

As Arleta Wanat suggested, we can directly do the calculate in the workflow, as shown in the following screenshot.

If you think the reply is helpful, please mark it as an answer. It will help others who meet the similar issue in this forum.

Best regards,

Linda Zhang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 9:03 AM