none
DHCP lease renewal kills DNS A record RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am having the problem that in my environment for two machines the DHCP renewal will kill the DNS A record (while the AAAA record is still there) and not register them again. One is a Windows Server 2008 R2 (domain member), the other one is an OpenSuSE Linux (not a domain member). There could be a few more such clients but for 99 %, everything works fine.

I created a static DNS A record for both clients using dnscmd, but with each renewal, the A records are gone.

DHCP and DNS running on Windows Server 2012 R2 domain controllers, DNS is set to allow secure dynamic updates only.

Any idea what is going on?

Thanks, Georg.

Monday, December 11, 2017 12:32 PM

All replies

• Hi ,

Please check the following configurations:

On DHCP scope properties:

Enable DNS dynamic updates according to the settings below:

-Always dynamically update DNS A and PTR records

-Discard A and PTR records when lease is deleted

-Dynamically update DNS A and PTR records for DHCP that do not request updates

Name Protection

-Name Protection is NOT enabled

On DHCP server:

Added the DHCP server to the Active Directory, Built-In DnsUpdateProxy security group

Created a standard user account in Active Directory and used it's credentials for the DHCP Server on the Advanced Tab.

On clients:

Check "Register this connection's address in DNS"

For your reference:

DHCP Server Not Registering A Records for Windows Clients

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/e4b285d6-5795-4045-83ff-3a3c793b2cfc/dhcp-server-not-registering-a-records-for-windows-clients?forum=winserverNIS

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 6:19 AM
  • Hi ,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful.

Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Candy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 13, 2017 8:30 AM
  • Hi Candy,

thanks for your response. I did not have to change the DHCP scope settings as they were already as you described. However, after applying the DCHP server settings I am seeing a "DNS Update Failed" message in the DHCP log for this particular Windows Server.

Previously, the DHCP log said "DNS Update Successful" although it did not register the A record.

Georg.

Wednesday, December 13, 2017 8:47 AM
  • Hi Georg,

Sorry for the delayed response.

Type ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew on the client side and then check if the A record is registered in DNS.

Best Regards,

Candy

Friday, December 15, 2017 8:19 AM
  • Hi Candy,

this is exactly what I am doing. The DHCP server logs

30,12/15/17,09:34:44,DNS Update Request,,FQDN,,,0,6,,,,,,,,,0
    11,12/15/17,09:34:44,Renew,IP-Address,FQDN,MAC-Address,,787170438,0,,,,0x4D53465420352E30,MSFT 5.0,,,,0
    31,12/15/17,09:34:44,DNS Update Failed,IP-Address,FQDN,,,0,6,,,,,,,,,9005

I am also now getting an increased number of such failures I don't understand. For example, for one particular client DNS update succeeded until yesterday afternoon and failed thereafter. That client tries to renew its IP configuration every few minutes...

Georg.

Friday, December 15, 2017 8:50 AM