Intended change or a bug - Junk E-mail vs Junk Email and extra Contacts RRS feed

• Question

• I just moved a POP email account from Outlook
    in Office 365 personal 1901 11231.20174 monthly
    to Office 365 Business 1808 10730.20280  semi-annual

While creating the account, I specified to use the existing .pst which I previously copied to usual location in /Documents/Outlook Files/

This is the first account added, so it is the default account and its data file is the default.

On the old PC it is "Junk E-mail"
    All the other accounts still here also have "Junk E-mail" tagged with special icon and "empty folder" on context menu

On the new PC there is both "Junk E-mail" and "Junk Email" (no hyphen) - in the Folder view, it's this latter one with new spelling which is tagged as the active junk folder.?? Was this changed on purpose with an explanation or is it a known bug and will disappear with future update (notice the "old PC" has a more recent version of Office)

There is also now 2 Contacts folders:
    "Contacts" :  (didn't appear on old system) - is empty
    "Contacts - email@addr.ess" : has the transferred contacts
    ARE THESE BOTH still part of the local .pst - or is one of these somewhere in appdata now or intended to reside in Microsoft's cloud? n.b not signed into Microsoft, Outlook not activated yet, and in fact, the PC is still offline (no internet) at this time!

Does Office 365 now automatically store contacts in the MS cloud?  THIS ONE has only this ONE account so far so I can figure out what all the defaults are.

There is nothing that says: "(this PC only)"

• Edited by OttIT Wednesday, March 6, 2019 8:18 PM
    Wednesday, March 6, 2019 8:18 PM

All replies

• It seems like the new Contacts must have been added into the .pst because opening a COPY of the .pst file also shows both even when moved again to another PC. WHY would it create one if one already existed? Is it needing there to absolutely be one simply called "Contacts" ?
    Wednesday, March 6, 2019 8:38 PM
  • Hi,

Normally, it is recommended to import the .pst file into your Outlook instead of directly using the old one which could possibly cause duplicated items. After adding the POP account, import the old PST to this account and choose “Replace duplicates with items imported”.

For my understanding, Outlook client has some default system folders such as Junk Email folder or Contacts. However, there was already a "Junk E-mail" existing in your original PST file. This possibly cause duplicates. We cannot call this as a “bug” since it works the way, and this is "by design".

In you case, you can create a new profile and then import old .pst file to your POP account to check the result.

Reference: Import email, contacts, and calendar from an Outlook .pst file

Hope the information is helpful to you.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Edited by Perry-Pan Thursday, March 7, 2019 4:40 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Friday, March 8, 2019 4:41 AM
    Thursday, March 7, 2019 4:39 AM
  • Did the nomenclature change between versions - is that why this is happening? Did they drop the hyphen for the default junk folder  ?
    Sunday, March 10, 2019 4:26 PM
  • Hi,

I haven’t found related official articles about the difference.

In your case, you can follow the steps above to import PST files to Outlook client. Besides, we can also delete unwanted folders or move existing items to the active junk folder.

If you have other questions about Outlook client, please feel free to ask here.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, March 12, 2019 7:00 AM