none
Get MSP 2002 information from within Excel 2003 RRS feed

• Question

• I have to create weekly "3-week" schedules.  We're maintaining our MSP files daily and every week we have to create a schedule for the upcoming 3 weeks in Excel, listing: Task names, Early Start Dates, Actual Start Dates, and End Dates.  I assume if he wants more info than that, once I understand how to access it from Excel, I'll be able to alter the field names and achieve that.

Is there a simple way to extract this data from within Excel without having to open MSP?  My boss kept making reference to ODBC as a possible source for this, but I don't have any experience programming with ODBC, and only very limited programming experience in VBS.  (It's been over 12 years.  I last touched it in 2000.)

Am I asking for too much here?  Entering all this information manually takes up quite a few hours a month and seems like it should be able to be automated to at least some extent.

Thanks,

Jon

Friday, August 24, 2012 5:59 PM

Answers

• John and Jan,

Thanks, on rereading my request I realize the wording is a bit fuzzy.  

Essentially I wanted to be able to allow a user without MS Project installed on their computer to be able to extract data from an .mpp file to use this to create a short-term schedule in Excel.  I don't want data flow the other direction.  The 3-week schedule is to put in the hands of the Project Manager for him to print out and give to the owner.  

I just stumbled upon this page which seems to do most of what I'm looking for: http://www.clearlyandsimply.com/clearly_and_simply/2009/01/bring-your-tasks-in-a-row.html

Now I just need to be able to bring over the subtasks and extract data from "custom fields", we have one called "Responsible Entity" in our projects and I'd like to bring over whatever text is in that column as well.

The colored columns below will be done on the Excel side, the white portion on the left side I want to get from the .mpp file.  (I guess column A can be added on the Excel side as well.)

Jon

• Edited by Groelzj Friday, August 24, 2012 10:07 PM
    • Marked as answer by Groelzj Friday, August 24, 2012 11:32 PM
    Friday, August 24, 2012 8:58 PM

All replies

• Jon,

What you are doing or want to do isn't real clear. You say you are maintaining weekly schedules in Project but then it also appears you want to import schedules from Excel. So which is it?

If you are trying to import Excel data into Project, you can use an import map (since the data you list is non-timescaled). Going the other way can be accomplished with an export map.

And the first sentence of your second paragraph about extracting data without opening Project needs more explanation.

If you can clarify your process and state you end goal more clearly, we can be of more help.

John

Friday, August 24, 2012 8:08 PM
  • Hi,

IMHO the "simple way" is by opening the Project from within Excel - I frankly don't know why you want to avoid that. And if you have any VB or VBA experience, Rod Gill's book on VBA programming for Microsoft Project wil get you up and running very rapidly. Not that we don't want to help, but as John says, having a closer view on the objective would be a bonus!

Greetings,

Friday, August 24, 2012 8:18 PM
  • John and Jan,

Thanks, on rereading my request I realize the wording is a bit fuzzy.  

Essentially I wanted to be able to allow a user without MS Project installed on their computer to be able to extract data from an .mpp file to use this to create a short-term schedule in Excel.  I don't want data flow the other direction.  The 3-week schedule is to put in the hands of the Project Manager for him to print out and give to the owner.  

I just stumbled upon this page which seems to do most of what I'm looking for: http://www.clearlyandsimply.com/clearly_and_simply/2009/01/bring-your-tasks-in-a-row.html

Now I just need to be able to bring over the subtasks and extract data from "custom fields", we have one called "Responsible Entity" in our projects and I'd like to bring over whatever text is in that column as well.

The colored columns below will be done on the Excel side, the white portion on the left side I want to get from the .mpp file.  (I guess column A can be added on the Excel side as well.)

Jon

• Edited by Groelzj Friday, August 24, 2012 10:07 PM
    • Marked as answer by Groelzj Friday, August 24, 2012 11:32 PM
    Friday, August 24, 2012 8:58 PM
  • Jon,

Yes, now your post makes a little more sense and it looks like you found a ready made answer. I've written many macro to transfer data from Project to Excel and I'm sure Jan has also but I've never done one that also emulated the Gantt Chart graphic. Sounds like you just need to get into the code and tweak it for the custom fields you are using.

John

Saturday, August 25, 2012 1:48 AM