Sharepoint Backup fails, timer does not exist RRS feed

• Question

• I have Sharepoint 3.0 installed. I was able to do successfull backup many times. One day a backup was not completed successfully.

Now I get this error when I try to backup.

The backup/restore job failed because there is already another job scheduled. Delete the timer job from the Timer Job Definitions page, and then restart the backup/restore job.   at Microsoft.SharePoint.ApplicationPages.StartBackupPage.Ok_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
       at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
       at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument)
       at System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument)
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

When I try to delete the timer definition job.. I get the following error:

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.   at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPWebApplication.OnDeserialization()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPPersistedObject.Initialize(SPConfigurationDatabase configurationDatabase, Guid id, Guid parentId, String name, SPObjectStatus status, Int64 version, XmlDocument state)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPConfigurationDatabase.GetObject(Guid id, Guid parentId, Guid type, String name, SPObjectStatus status, Byte[] versionBuffer, String xml)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPConfigurationDatabase.GetObject(SqlDataReader dr)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPConfigurationDatabase.RefreshCache(Int64 currentVersionOverride, List`1& newObjects, List`1& deletedObjects, Int64& newestObjectVersion)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPConfigurationDatabase.RefreshCache()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPConfigurationDatabase.DeleteObject(Guid id)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPConfigurationDatabase.DeleteObject(SPPersistedObject obj)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPPersistedObject.Delete()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPJobDefinition.DeleteInternal(Boolean bTargetInstances, Boolean bLockAndRunningJobs)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPJobDefinition.Delete()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.ApplicationPages.JobEditPage.BtnDeleteJob_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
       at System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument)
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

If I try again to delete it I get the following error:

The object with id d32c4ce6-0739-4e8c-94cc-29df0af5042c does not exist in the configuration store.  The object may have been deleted by another operation.   at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPConfigurationDatabase.DeleteObject(Guid id)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPConfigurationDatabase.DeleteObject(SPPersistedObject obj)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPPersistedObject.Delete()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPJobDefinition.DeleteInternal(Boolean bTargetInstances, Boolean bLockAndRunningJobs)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPJobDefinition.Delete()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.ApplicationPages.JobEditPage.BtnDeleteJob_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)

Any idea whats going on here !!

Thanks for you help.

Sunday, December 12, 2010 11:58 PM

Answers

• Hi Marc,

I got your problem and i think there is only permission problem. It might be possible that your servers (SP and database) are having different admin accounts and your content databases are not able to get the right permission. Let me start from beginning.

1. You can check the version through central admin or Control Panel. If you don't find any Shared Service in central admin then it is WSS 3.0. You can also check through control panel (Add / /Remove).

2. You are getting "Access Denied", it is normal if you don't have the permission to access the server. You need to add your "sqladmin" account in in SP servers. Just add this account as admin in both the servers.

3.   >Disk full 'situation' about 2-3 weeks ago

In that case you will need to increase your disk space. You may contact to your IT team.

4. If you are going to reinstall everything, then make sure you have full back of sharepoint server and database server (Mean All content databases). You can easily find backup/restore process on internet / MSDN with some googling.

See this is the basic idea from my side if you want to know something more then please tell me hardware and software detail.

For your reference please see this site. how you can install WSS / Sharepoint.

http://www.c-sharpcorner.com/UploadFile/dpatra/103052009124559PM/1.aspx

Cheers, Hemendra-MCTS "Yesterday is just a memory,Tomorrow we may never see"
    • Marked as answer by Peng Lei Friday, December 24, 2010 6:18 AM
    Tuesday, December 14, 2010 4:39 AM

All replies

• > I have Sharepoint 3.0 installed

WSS 3.0 or MOSS 2007?

(Both are "Sharepoint 3.0")

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters
    Monday, December 13, 2010 7:29 AM
  • Hi,

I think job is deleted but timer job is not updated at this point.

Can you please RESET the IIS and restart the timer job. And check the timer job status in central admin-->operation.

Let me know your result

Monday, December 13, 2010 7:29 AM
  • WSS 3.0

Is there a way I can verify exactly the version and the built (if there's such things as built)

Monday, December 13, 2010 4:00 PM
  • It didn't work.

Maybe it's related but check this one out.

When I log in to Sharepoint central, I use sqladmin as user ( I see 'Welcome System Account') in the top right corner.

I have 2 server in my Farm Topology, If I click anyone of the two, I get an error saying 'Access Denied'

Is that normal ??

If I login using the server administrator password, I click on the server and gets its detail.

I didn't configure that server (I wish I had) and we had many issues (mostly minor at this point). I'm think reinstalling the whole thing but I sure want a backup before I start.

And Also we had a Disk full 'situation' about 2-3 weeks ago, that started to screw up the backups.

Monday, December 13, 2010 4:07 PM
  • Hi,

Make sure that whether your site(id d32c4ce6-0739-4e8c-94cc-29df0af5042c) is exist. If everything is fine, I suggest that you would restart the SharePoint Timer Service.

1.        Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Services.

2.        In the Services (Local) pane, right-click SharePoint Timer Service, and then click Restart.

I wish you every success in your important work.

Best regards,

David Hu

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 3:27 AM
  • Hi Marc,

I got your problem and i think there is only permission problem. It might be possible that your servers (SP and database) are having different admin accounts and your content databases are not able to get the right permission. Let me start from beginning.

1. You can check the version through central admin or Control Panel. If you don't find any Shared Service in central admin then it is WSS 3.0. You can also check through control panel (Add / /Remove).

2. You are getting "Access Denied", it is normal if you don't have the permission to access the server. You need to add your "sqladmin" account in in SP servers. Just add this account as admin in both the servers.

In that case you will need to increase your disk space. You may contact to your IT team.

4. If you are going to reinstall everything, then make sure you have full back of sharepoint server and database server (Mean All content databases). You can easily find backup/restore process on internet / MSDN with some googling.

See this is the basic idea from my side if you want to know something more then please tell me hardware and software detail.

• Marked as answer by Peng Lei Friday, December 24, 2010 6:18 AM
    Tuesday, December 14, 2010 4:39 AM
  • Hi Marc,

I have WSS 3.0 then.

It's there !!! under

That's all fixed, we do have 1.5 TB of disk space. The issue was that every 2 days, the backup verify will fail but the temp database (15 Gig of DB and 80 Gig of Logs were not deleted) .. after a while.. the disk got full.

Thanks for you help 

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 5:01 AM