Problem with Super-Duper-Hide Feature RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have noticed a problem in both Vista and Win7 where files simply do not appear in explorer.  They are hidden to the max and tinkering with the "hide, hidden, super hidden" features in folder options and the registry, does not make the files visiable, i.e.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

For example, the most recent event that prompted me to stop and ask this question occurs with the Temporary Internet Files folder.   It is completely invisible.   And the only way to make it appear / workaround is to type / enter its address in the address bar of explorer.   If however, one doesn't know the exact name of the folder, then of course it can't be displayed.  

Amended

The Intenet folder is just one example.  The pagefile dot sys is another example.

I don't recall the others that i have used the same method to display known folders.  And I am not sure if any old personal folders are now hidden without my knowledge.

Changing the file attribute's via the cmd console proved futile as well.

And logging under the default Admin account resulted the same affects.

Incidentally, in regards to the recent issue of super duper hide involding the Temp Internet Files folder mentioned above,  this issue is currently present in Vista but not in Win7.   However, I have incurred examples of invisible folders in Win7 as well.  And other's too, because I have posted the workaround for others at Microsoft Answers

db

• Edited by DatabaseBen Saturday, June 25, 2011 2:58 PM Amended
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 1:07 PM

Answers

• problem solved:

It seems that a freeware I have been using was the cause of the problem.  It is called "Free Hide Folders". 

It is only supposed to password protect and "hide" folders that are selected by the user.

However, it seems that it has the propencity to inadverdently keep system folders "hidden".   Further, trying to use the command console and manually removing the -H attribute was futile.

So, after uninstalling the freeware, all the invisible system files became "un-hidden", in accordance to the folder options settings / preferences.

Thanks.

db
    • Marked as answer by DatabaseBen Friday, July 1, 2011 2:34 PM
    Friday, July 1, 2011 2:33 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Temp Internet Files folder is not hidden, it is that we can't see it in the result of Search. Is this what we are talking about?

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, June 28, 2011 9:36 AM
  • hi and thanks for your time.

you are right, in that the temp internet files folder "should not" be hidden.   but to my amazement it is.     however, it is not simply just hidden, like having its folder kind of translucent, but the entire folder and folder name doesn't appear in the explorer.

and when i had the temp internet folder as a sub folder under another folder called Temp, this Temp folder had no drop down arrow to show there was a sub folder inside.

i moved the temp internet folder to a different partition and the registry reflects the new location as well, but the folder remains totally hidden.

i also noticed, that the pagefil.sys is the same way too - totally hidden.

db

ps: this problem is not evident in win7 and i can see these folders and files.   the problem is only in vista and it must have happened recently.   but i can't say for sure when, since i only noticed the problem recently.

• Edited by DatabaseBen Tuesday, June 28, 2011 1:35 PM amend
    Tuesday, June 28, 2011 1:33 PM
  • problem solved:

It seems that a freeware I have been using was the cause of the problem.  It is called "Free Hide Folders". 

It is only supposed to password protect and "hide" folders that are selected by the user.

However, it seems that it has the propencity to inadverdently keep system folders "hidden".   Further, trying to use the command console and manually removing the -H attribute was futile.

So, after uninstalling the freeware, all the invisible system files became "un-hidden", in accordance to the folder options settings / preferences.

Thanks.

db
    • Marked as answer by DatabaseBen Friday, July 1, 2011 2:34 PM
    Friday, July 1, 2011 2:33 PM
  • Is there a specific way to run through this process to uninstall the freeware that "hides" the folders? I can't really figure it out.
    Friday, July 1, 2011 10:07 PM
  • yeah, it took me several tries before figuring it out.

firstly, ensure to disable the option in the freeware that automatically hides the folder when you exit / close the freeware.

then be sure to unhide all the folders as well.

then close the freeware and go through the un-install via program features control panel or add/remove programs.

lastly, there are a couple of methods that the freewares uninstall gui provides, i.e. auto and custom.

if you select custom, you will have the opportunity to see which files will be uninstalled, including which registry keys will be removed.

i neglected to jot down which registry keys were going to be removed so that i could study them as to why they could over ride the operating system.

so if you can, please provide which keys they are, as they may prove useful

hth.

db
    Saturday, July 2, 2011 3:56 PM