none
Windows Explorer high CPU usage (100% reproducible) RRS feed

• Question

• I know many people have this problem.  My case is 100% reproducible, so I want to give it a shot here to see I can get some tips to remedy this.

To reproduce it is very simple on my Windows 10 machine: just open File Explorer, then do nothing. You hear me right: do nothing. Within 10 to 15 minutes, Windows Explorer takes more than 50% of CPU power on a quad-core machine as shown by the following screen capture:

Closing File Explorer does not make any difference.  I have tried to close everything that I can close, but it makes no difference. The only ways to stop the high CPU usage are the following:

1. Reboot the machine.

2. Restart Windows Explorer in Task Manager.

The computer has the latest Windows updates.  It has been having this problem for a long time (at least many months). 

Hong

Saturday, September 10, 2016 12:12 AM

Answers

• you could have zipped the file, that would have made it easier to download.

I would personally uninstall Norton360 and test if the issue remains.

80% of the time in in explorer.exe, of which a large chunk is used in zipfldr.dll!CZipFolder::EnumObjects
    so it seems to be reading a compressed folder.
    From the trace I could not find the path to the file quickly, but you can use Resource Monitor to look which file the explorer process is accessing, then delete the zip file.

btw.: 20% of the time was used by a process called "Auto Resolution.exe", which seems to be from LG. I find this a bit it excessive for a program which is supposed to just adjust the screen resolution.

Saturday, September 10, 2016 7:18 PM

All replies

• I think you should reinstall you OS!
    Saturday, September 10, 2016 1:10 AM
  • To diagnose a performance problem you should use the Windows performance toolkit, the instructions for which can be found in this wiki
    Saturday, September 10, 2016 6:49 AM
  • Hi Hong,

I've tried for over 15 minutes, and nothing strange has occurred.
    It's my screenshot.

Your Windows Explorer uses about 300MB memory.
    I suppose it's very odd.

# In my case, it's around 40MB memory, and usually 0.0% CPU.

So, as EckiS mentioned, it is better to user Windows performance toolkit, or to re-install Windows 10.

Regards,
    Ashidacchi
    Saturday, September 10, 2016 8:29 AM
  • Thanks for the tip, Ecki.  I recorded the performance only for about 5 seconds or so, but WPR still created a 5 GB file.  I opened the file, but could not find any clue.  I recorded the file after closing every app except Task Manager and WPR.

Ashidacchi, thank you for the test.  I think it is not a universal problem for Windows 10.  It is something that occurs only in a certain environment.  I am trying to find the culprit.

Hong

Saturday, September 10, 2016 5:13 PM
  • you could have zipped the file, that would have made it easier to download.

I would personally uninstall Norton360 and test if the issue remains.

80% of the time in in explorer.exe, of which a large chunk is used in zipfldr.dll!CZipFolder::EnumObjects
    so it seems to be reading a compressed folder.
    From the trace I could not find the path to the file quickly, but you can use Resource Monitor to look which file the explorer process is accessing, then delete the zip file.

btw.: 20% of the time was used by a process called "Auto Resolution.exe", which seems to be from LG. I find this a bit it excessive for a program which is supposed to just adjust the screen resolution.

Saturday, September 10, 2016 7:18 PM
  • Thanks a lot for looking into it.  I appreciate it greatly.  I was trying to generate a much smaller file before seeing your response. I noticed it recorded much more than 5 seconds (I stopped at 5 seconds to enter the description slowly with high CPU usage).  I will try to skip the description next time to see if it helps.  

Auto Resolution usually takes only about 1% of CPU.  The tips are excellent.  I will look into them and report back.

Hong

Saturday, September 10, 2016 8:12 PM
  • Hi,

Did you find a solution?  I am running Windows 10.  After the most recent update, Windows Explorer is taking 38-40% CPU and 70MB memory.  I tried rebooting, powering down and draining the power, but when I restart, after everything loads it jumps back up to "Very high" power usage. 

I'm not running Norton's.  I use PCMatic and tried shutting it down with no impact.

Sunday, July 14, 2019 3:32 PM