Aero shadows won't refresh, stuck. RRS feed

All replies

• Probably this is an issue of your video driver. Try to wait for a newer version, I have experienced a similar issue in Vista years ago. A new vga driver solved my problem.
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 7:40 AM
  • As a workaround, you may be able to get rid of it by ending and restarting DWM.exe (Desktop Window Manager).

-Nick
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 2:28 PM
  • Restarting the DWM doesn't get rid of the shadows. I have to restart each time.

It may be the new Nvidia driver update, but I'm not sure since I have not connected to new networks often, and thusly don't see that popup notification often. The networking popup dialog seems to be the only window causing this problem. It happens when it pops up to notify me that it is connecting to a network.

Hopefully the next Nvidia driver fixes this...the last one fixed my problem with some Direct3D apps not initializing correctly.
    PS: Any other suggestions to temporarliy fix this besides restarting each time?
    • Edited by Rajishimo Friday, June 26, 2009 2:06 AM
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 11:33 PM
  • Rajishimo,

You might try ending task on Explorer.exe and then starting it up again and see if that clears the ghost.
    Friday, June 26, 2009 3:25 AM
    Answerer
  • Ending explorer doesn't get rid of the ghost. Neither does restarting it.
    Is the "ghost" stuck in the graphics device itself? It's annoying whenever I have to edit video and it's right in the way.
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 12:19 AM
  • I get rid of it just by selecting the "Basic" theme, and after it applies, switch back to my own theme.

Kurt
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 3:02 AM
  • In my experience changing to/from basic theme or enabling/disabling aero has no effect.  Even when I have your basic windows-2000 style grey boxes for all the onscreen windows, the shadows stay there (and do not change shape, they are curved from the previous style)  Using a program which renders with an overlay (in my case, slingplayer software) does seem to partially alleviate this problem:  the shadows are still there, but they lose their "always on top" status, so they are only visible on the desktop wallpaper and stop interfering with other windows.
    Friday, December 31, 2010 8:56 PM
  • Probably this is an issue of your video driver. Try to wait for a newer version, I have experienced a similar issue in Vista years ago. A new vga driver solved my problem.

This has nothing to do with drivers, it is a Windows bug.

The easiest way to fix this without rebooting is to open the Display applet in Control Panel and change the colro bit-depth to something else, then say Revert when it asks if you want to keep the change.

(None of the other suggestions mentioned work.)

• Edited by mwalsher Friday, June 19, 2015 6:20 PM
    Friday, June 19, 2015 6:18 PM