Windows Vista update KB938371: USB mouse not recognized RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello

I have Windows Vista Business 32 bits (dutch version). Today  I received update KB938371 (and a few more, but they don't cause any problems).

After restarting the system, the updates are fully installed. I can see my mouse-pointer, but my mouse stopped working. I get a failure, telling me that it cannot install the HID-compliant device. My mousepad is working though (it is a notebook...). I cannot remove the update. Others can be removed, but this one can't.

I discovered that this is already a known problem, but no solution yet..

Hey guys.. I logoff en start my LINUX.. that works fine...

• Changed type Carey FrischMVP Thursday, February 9, 2012 4:26 PM Discussion
    Friday, April 11, 2008 8:30 AM

All replies

• can anyone or microsoft place a link for the c:\windows\inf folder in a zip that as not been changed with the update??

please, i have lost 2 days on this and i have much more to do then fix microsoft bad updates.

for now on my updates will be always off..

PLEASE PLACE A LINK OF A ZIP THAT CONTAINS INF FOLDER! NOW
    Friday, April 11, 2008 1:32 PM

• please, i have lost 2 days on this and i have much more to do then fix microsoft bad updates.

for now on my updates will be always off..

PLEASE PLACE A LINK OF A ZIP THAT CONTAINS INF FOLDER! NOW!!!!!!
    Friday, April 11, 2008 1:34 PM
  • Same Problem Today and Solved

Remove all Human Interface ( hid )

Restart your vista
    thats all

GooD luck
    Friday, April 11, 2008 2:22 PM
  • how do i remove all hid?
    Friday, April 11, 2008 2:27 PM
  • in control panel / Hardware

you have keyboard?
    if you have just go to control panel and go hardware and remove
    Thats easy...

if you need a mouse , go to control panel and substitute mouse by keyboard ( i´m portuguese sorry for the english )

Friday, April 11, 2008 2:38 PM
  • tb sou pt, tou.m a passar com esta merd* pa, tenho teclado..

vou tentar isso. fez.s luz! thanks!

ja tentei de tudo. pkp
    Friday, April 11, 2008 2:43 PM
  • no painel de control nao encontro hardware.

obrigado pelas respostas.. mas podes.m dizer como se remove os hids?

eu entendo bue d pcs. n tou mm a ver onde é para remover..

Friday, April 11, 2008 2:54 PM
  • Vais ao Painel control / sistema / gestor de dispositivos
    Em seguida abre o  gestor de dispositivos de interface humana ( clica no + )
    Ele abre os hids , remove / desinstala tudo e depois reinicia

Boa Sorte

Friday, April 11, 2008 2:59 PM
  • Vais ao Painel control / sistema / gestor de dispositivos
    Em seguida abre o  gestor de dispositivos de interface humana ( clica no + )
    Ele abre os hids , remove / desinstala tudo e depois reinicia

Boa Sorte

Friday, April 11, 2008 3:00 PM
  • pois, gestao de dispositivos.. ja eu sabia lol..

pensava k tavas a dizer noutro sitio completamente diferente.. sorry a confuzao..

vou tentar agr! obrigadao!!
    Friday, April 11, 2008 3:06 PM
  • funcionou mesmo bem. foda-se 2 dias nisto e so quando aparece 1 tuga é k se resolve..

2 days spent fixing this problem.

HOW CAN MICROSOFT RELEASE AN UPDATE THAT MAKES THE MOUSE STOP WORKING?

HOW CAN THEY LET DAYS PASS WITH PEOPLE ALL OVER WITH THE SAME ISSUE, AND DONT RELEASE AND UPDATE TO FIX IT?

DO U UNDERSTAND THAT PEOPLE LOSS TIME TRYING TO SOLVE *** THEY DID WANNA?

LOST 2 DAYS OF CRIATIVITY AND GOT CLIENTS JUMPING UP AND DOWN.

I WILL NOT USE AUTOMATIC UPDATES EVER AGAIN.

BESIDES SUPPORT IS ***.

IT TOOK 2 DAYS TILL A PORTUGUESE TO SHOW UP AND GIVE A PROPER SOLUTION..

HE 2 WOKE UP AND NOTICED THE VISTA UPGRADED AND MOUSE DIDNT WORK. THANKS GOD HE WAS AROUND TO REPLY AND HELP OUT.

WHAT CAN WE EXPECT FROM MICRO..

I BUY VISTA, WORKS FOR 3 WEEKS, THEN I UPDATE AND NO MOUSE WILL WORK OR COURSER WILL SHOW?

FFS
    Friday, April 11, 2008 3:12 PM
  • TUGAPOWER !!!!

Friday, April 11, 2008 3:23 PM
  • TIPO, faz reboot, e dps começa a instalar o dispositivo d novo.. assim k akaba de instalar.. la se vai u rato.. devo ter k obrigadar o vista a nao instalar merdas automaticamente..

obrigadao man!

TUGAPOWER
    Friday, April 11, 2008 3:28 PM
  • I had the same trouble so I restored to the point before the last updates and downloaded SP1 for Vista. That cleared my problem and Vista is working fine.

Friday, April 11, 2008 7:16 PM
  • I had the same trouble (Vista 32, french) , restoration failed, the keyboard get stuck too. Safe mode didn't help, same trouble. I had to restard in command line mode, I then tried to put the .inf to trash, but not the .hid, unfortunately.   I had to reinstall the whole system, one day of work totally lost, I'm going to downgrade to a  XP Pro OEM, I can't stay with such an unreliable system.
    Friday, April 11, 2008 8:47 PM
  • Microsoft, please post a patch!!!! now!!!!!!!
    Saturday, April 12, 2008 9:58 AM
  • Anybody found aolution for this problem...please post

Saturday, April 12, 2008 10:52 AM
  •  

Hi all,

I had the same problem as posted here

I've update the thread with the update. Hopefully they'll give us a reply soon enough.

Saturday, April 12, 2008 10:53 AM
  •  

Hi all,

I found the solution on another forum (forgot which one), and posted this solution in several threads. The problem is, as stated, a Human Interface Device in combination with update KB938371. After installing it, my usb-mouse stopped working. Just go to device manager --> HID-devices --> Unknown Device and search for drivers. Vista will not find any drivers online, so you have to search for drivers on your own computer. The location of this driver (in most cases) will be C:/Windows/Winsxs. You will get a popup saying "this is an unsigned driver bla bla bla". Just install the driver. The mouse worked for me (even without reboot).

-Dr-

Saturday, April 12, 2008 12:10 PM
  • Hi everyone:

I had the same problem. I tried the frist solution posted here and it didn't work. However, everytime I removed the HID my mouse would work untill Vista installed it's own drivers and told me the device is working properly. That's when it stopped working. I tried shutting off the auto update driver for Vista but it does it anyway whether its turned on or not, which is the most ludicrous thing. Tried system restore and that didn't help either. I then went down to my computer junk box and pulled out an adapter from USB connection to the older PS2 connection. Works fine now. Just wish they would fix it though.

I can't use my new video card since I "upgraded" to Vista either, had to put in my old one. If I keep down grading to keep up with Vista I'm just going back to a typewriter.

I did not try the last solution here yet. I may at a later date, when my blood pressure goes down.

Kaizer
    Saturday, April 12, 2008 4:45 PM
  • Boas,

Também tou com os mesmo problemas e quando faço o reboot começa a actualizar automaticamente, já fui aos settings do system e meti para nunca actualizar as drivers, mas ele acaba por actualizar. como resolvo isto ???

Saturday, April 12, 2008 6:57 PM
  • Hi again:

When I restarted my computer this morning my mouse didn't work again. I guess my solution was a fluke of some sort. I did try Drnitro solution and it works very well. I now have my mouse back. Thanks everyone!!!

I think it's time to search on how too downgrade back to XP. Using Vista has been like having a screaming match with a deaf, mute.

Thanks microsoft for being so helpfull in this matter. OH!!!!......wait....................you did nothing.

Kaizer
    Sunday, April 13, 2008 1:20 PM
  • Hello Buddies,

I am new to this forum. i am using Vista Business Edition. I solved this problem by doing following steps. I feel that this may solve you problem also.

Press f8 While computer shows start up screen.

Choose Safe mode option

Boot the Computer in Safemode.

After windows loaded successfullly in safe mode.

go to device manager --> HID-devices --> Unknown Device 

search for drivers.

Install driver manually locating the file pointing to  C:/Windows/Winsxs.  after success ful installation.

reboot the mechine.

it may work even with out reboot.

Incase if still doesnot works.do the process again and reboot the mechine.

Regards

Stalin

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 5:51 AM
  • Thanks to Stalin my Logitech NX60 mouse is working again (after the KB938371 Vista-32 update).

No problems in Vista-64 bit at all.

Regards

Ulrik

Sunday, April 27, 2008 11:23 AM
  • it doesn´t work for me, i have done all steps and nothing. when i remove HID and restart my computer, my mouse works perfect in windows login, but when i made my login the windows install again HID and it stop works. i´ve change my windows update, and put never update automatic, and when i do the same it installs again.

3 weeks without Mouse, only in windows vista ***...
    Monday, April 28, 2008 10:09 AM
  • This worked very well for me. Thanks for the solution!

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 3:04 PM
  • hello,

now it works for me too.
    Thanks for the solution... MS sucks
    Wednesday, April 30, 2008 4:46 PM
  • Hi,

I got the same problem on my laptop , and no solutions helps me...
    When I dowload few updates including KB938371 , and reset computer next day, all my USB ports stoped works, somebody can tell my why? 

Laptop Packard Bell,
    Vista Home premium
    1 GB ram
    ATI xpress 200m

ATI I/O Communications Processor USB 2.0 EHCI controller    PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4373&SUBSYS_C1011631&REV_80\3&13C0B0C5&1&9A
    Intel dual core processor

Hardware Abstraction Layer    Version = "6.0.6000.16386"

Please help me repair this, b'couse I cant reinstall system befor copying files to usb hdd

thanks in advance
    Marcin Schindler
    Sunday, May 4, 2008 1:30 PM
  • This was wonderful. I was so upset about this stupid mouse, I have had a number of issues with vista and so far have found ways around them. Thank you for your advice, very helpful

Friday, May 16, 2008 8:39 PM
  • I'm still having problems with my Logitech keyboard.  I reinstalled with no success.

I'm running vista 32bit.

I cannot see HID devices in my device manager only USB devices in their seperate branch.
    Friday, May 16, 2008 10:11 PM
  • hi,

I ecounter a problem with my hid keyboard, after i reboot my pc my keyboard is not functioning anyomore. So i reboot it again hoping it would resolve the problem but it's still the same, not functioning...

Can I ask for any suggestion regarding this problem, I dont have any idea how to solve this.

many thanks to you. ^^

thnx

Thursday, June 12, 2008 7:33 AM
  •  marcin@schindler wrote:
    Hi,

I got the same problem on my laptop , and no solutions helps me...
    When I dowload few updates including KB938371 , and reset computer next day, all my USB ports stoped works,

.... hmmm Sad and on the 3 days later my laptop (mainboard stopeed working) its be broken.... 4 days befor my guaratiere it's be finish ....... curva!

Laptop Packard Bell,
    Vista Home premium
    1 GB ram
    ATI xpress 200m

ATI I/O Communications Processor USB 2.0 EHCI controller    PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4373&SUBSYS_C1011631&REV_80\3&13C0B0C5&1&9A
    Intel dual core processor

Hardware Abstraction Layer    Version = "6.0.6000.16386"

Marcin Schindler
    Monday, June 16, 2008 5:26 PM
  • You are awesome! This worked for a powerpoint pointer. The tecnical folks at Targus and Kensington said Vista needs to update, but this worked! THanks.

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 8:18 PM
  • Thanks DNitro.

I am very upset about microsoft. They advertise Vista as the most P&P OS which is quite far from true. When you have to install a simple mouse manually, leave alone the more complicated devices.

Microsoft sucks.

Saturday, July 5, 2008 7:57 PM
  •  

Hi..My Unknown device shows under USB devices not HID so what can i do about it ? Stick out tongue
    Wednesday, July 9, 2008 7:25 AM
  • This fix worked for me also!  just a note that you may have to repeat this procedure for each usb port, but will need to do this only once!  i let the computer browse all available drivers and double clicked on "mice blah blah"  then chose HID compliant mouse.  worked like a charm!  thank you DrNitro.

caio.

Wednesday, October 1, 2008 1:57 PM
  •  derweise wrote:
    I'm still having problems with my Logitech keyboard.  I reinstalled with no success.

I'm running vista 32bit.

I cannot see HID devices in my device manager only USB devices in their seperate branch.

I'm still having problems with a logitech mouse and a Targus wireless mouse.  I also cannot see HID devices - only USB devices.  Each has an exclamation point, but searching for drivers according to this thread does not work for me. 

I updated KB938371 in Sept when my laptop was new with no trouble.  My trouble began with last night's updates 10/16 & 10/17

My mouse pad continues to work (thank God after reading some of the issues here.)

Please help - this remains unresolved.

Friday, October 17, 2008 7:06 PM
  •  Jan Emmelkamp wrote:

Hello

I have Windows Vista Business 32 bits (dutch version). Today  I received update KB938371 (and a few more, but they don't cause any problems).

After restarting the system, the updates are fully installed. I can see my mouse-pointer, but my mouse stopped working. I get a failure, telling me that it cannot install the HID-compliant device. My mousepad is working though (it is a notebook...). I cannot remove the update. Others can be removed, but this one can't.

I discovered that this is already a known problem, but no solution yet..

Hey guys.. I logoff en start my LINUX.. that works fine...

Sunday, October 19, 2008 3:14 PM
  • This Worked! Woo, go DrNitro.

Drnitro wrote:

Hi all,

I found the solution on another forum (forgot which one), and posted this solution in several threads. The problem is, as stated, a Human Interface Device in combination with update KB938371. After installing it, my usb-mouse stopped working. Just go to device manager --> HID-devices --> Unknown Device and search for drivers. Vista will not find any drivers online, so you have to search for drivers on your own computer. The location of this driver (in most cases) will be C:/Windows/Winsxs. You will get a popup saying "this is an unsigned driver bla bla bla". Just install the driver. The mouse worked for me (even without reboot).

-Dr-

Saturday, November 15, 2008 3:50 PM
  • yeah, that's it! Smile
    thank u very much
    i hope ms would check the updates b4 releasing them

Tuesday, December 2, 2008 10:45 AM
  •  Hi Folks this is the resoultion for this problem 

1. Open "My Computer" and go to the following location
    C:\windows\system32\drivers.

2. Find a file named "idcphid.sys" and rename it to "idcphid.old".

3. Now uninstall the "IdeaCom HID Touch Screen (PS/2)" driver under "Human Interface Devices" in "Device Manager" (Device Manager can be found under "Control Panel" > "Administrative Tools" > "Computer Management")

4. Your computer will require a restart. After the restart completes your
    problem should be fixed.

sayan
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 1:34 PM
  • Caros "tugas"

Como possuidor de um Asus Notebook com gráfica ATI, o filme "Pesadelo em Elm Street" (desde o 1º ao 4º) não parece ser tão horrorifico quanto o Windows Vista. E falo principalmente do Service Pack 1 o qual já foram duas vezes instalados e daí resultaram quase, suicidios ou pedidos de eutanasia.
    De volta ao "format c:" la pus tudo direitinho e desta vez, eu é que decidi fazer os updates à minha maneira. Assim prefiro ficar com o "baloon" de notificação, verifico se existem outras actualizações que nao o SP1, e la vai indo.
    Quanto ao meu rato usb da Microsoft - Optical basic usb mouse V2.0 - não dá para perceber como é que Bill Gates ou o seu braço direito e restantes empregados espalhados pelo mundo inteiro, não foram capazes de compatibilizar materiais por si criados. Ou seja, submetem pessoas, aparelhos, fazem testes a tudo e até no conforto chegam a pensar. E chega um pequeno rato usb da propria marca, criado pelos mesmos e para meu espanto, nada.
    Quanto a uma carta escrita (mail mais propriamente) à Microsoft Portugal, a mesma respondeu-me com uma resposta identica à que estava no site de "support", tendo eu respondido que já tinha recebido online a mesma resposta e que para isso para que haver entao esse mail dedicado aos consumidores.

Quanto aos senhores da Microsoft, usem os vossos tradutores e ponham la isto em ingles.
    Porque Espanha, França, Holanda, Finlandia entre outros países, está tudo traduzido para as suas linguas.
    Aqui, na terra dos tugas, nao faz mal, usa-se o portugues do brasil, aproveitando-se a "carona" do pessoal que teve essa trabalheira de traduzir o que os americanos criaram. E por aqui me fico.
    Obrigada desde já aos meus compatriotas que se vão desenrascando no meio de tantas tropelias, e ainda por cima por um software pago.
    LINUX - Bem vindo sejas.
    Sunday, March 8, 2009 8:45 PM
  • Thank you for your input, Drnitro:

I followed your directions, to some extent... (go to device manager-->USB Trackball-->Update driver by searching on the computer)... and pointed to C:\Windows\Winsxs. I installed the unsigned driver... and the USB trackball mouse started working.

Mouse: Logitech Trackman Marble (trackball)

Laptop: Dell Studio 15

-Footr-
    Monday, June 1, 2009 2:13 AM
  •  

Hi all,

-Dr-

Excellent it works with me I have windows vista business 64 Bit.

Than you so much for your help

Thursday, July 9, 2009 5:04 PM
  • that also worked very well for me, thanx for your help..
    Friday, November 6, 2009 9:34 AM
  • Hi -Dr-
    I just want to thank you for the advice, same thing happened here, took your advice, and all is working again,.... thanks!!
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 8:16 AM
  • Hi, -Dr-,
    Thanks for the solution.  It worked at restoring my mouse.  However, I still have a problem with my printer showing up as Unknown Device in the USB Controllers section of Device Manager.  I'm using a Dell Laser 1700 on Vista Home Premium 64-bit with SP2 installed.  With this printer plugged into the USB port, Device Manager picks it up as Unknown Device.  Uninstalling/Reinstalling this printer's driver compatible with Vista 64-bit downloaded from Dell doesn't resolve the problem.

However, my other printer, HP DJ 6540 is recognized when plugged into the same USB port.

Any ideas on how to resolve?

Thanks,
    John146
    Friday, December 11, 2009 9:25 PM
  •  Hi Folks this is the resoultion for this problem 

1. Open "My Computer" and go to the following location
    C:\windows\system32\drivers.

2. Find a file named "idcphid.sys" and rename it to "idcphid.old".

3. Now uninstall the "IdeaCom HID Touch Screen (PS/2)" driver under "Human Interface Devices " in "Device Manager" (Device Manager can be found under "Control Panel" > "Administrative Tools" > "Computer Management ")

4. Your computer will require a restart. After the restart completes your
    problem should be fixed.

sayan

hi sayan/all
    the "idcphid.sys" file is missing in my drivers dir.
    how do i get around this?
    tia,
    jjd255
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 11:47 PM
  • Stalin, I love you man!

Worked like a charm.

Spent nearly 15 hours of different attempts, new mice, etc., until I found your post.  PERFECT!

Please keep up the great work!!!!!

EZHelp4U

Saturday, July 24, 2010 12:35 PM
  • I just had the same problem with my Logitech NX60 wireless mouse - but without the KB938371; Try to go to http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/support-downloads
    • Edited by philippeko Wednesday, June 29, 2011 9:02 PM Update the link
    Sunday, November 14, 2010 4:17 PM
  • THANKYOU, THANKYOU, THANKYOU!!!!  I have spent most of the day trying to fix my mouse issue, but then I found this thread and thanks to your advice it is  fixed (took less than 10 seconds!!!).

Very happy now thankyou! xx

Monday, January 3, 2011 2:41 PM
  • Thanks, it worked great!!!
    Sunday, May 22, 2011 6:11 PM
  • Hi All,

With reference to Dr. Nitro's solution -  I am now facing a similar problem of "USB device not recognised". But the strangest part is under HID devices, there is nothing called as "unknown device" listed. I don't know how to proceed further. Instead there used to be a "unknown device" listed under "Sound, game controllers" but i have uninstalled it.  

PLEASE HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OS- Vista Home premium 32 bit

Friday, February 3, 2012 8:05 PM