none
Reference Image - Start Menu Icons - Most show down arrow. What is this? How do I fix it? RRS feed

• Question

• I have successfully performed a build and capture TS execution using Windows 10 (1607) using the appropriate ADK and MTD workbench and an upgraded deployment share.  However, once I power the VM back online after the capture, I notice that most of the icons on the start menu show a Down arrow instead of the Icon/image.  What does this mean and how do I avoid it from happening or fix it? 
    Tuesday, November 29, 2016 2:03 AM

Answers

• Hi Eric :-)

Those are normal "placeholder" icons.  They will be replaced with "real" apps delivered by the Windows Store when the user logs in for the first time.  You can disable those apps (on the Enterprise SKU at least) via the "Disable consumerization features" policy, but the placeholders will still remain, so you'll need to import an updated default layout to get rid of them.  The basic steps for that:

1. Manually configure a layout that you want.
    2. Using PowerShell, execute "export-startlayout" to an XML file.
    3. As part of your task sequence, run PowerShell again to "import-startlayout".  (This can be a little tricky during image creation - it imports into the default profile, but that gets replaced by the administrator profile during sysprep.  There are workarounds.  It's easier in a deployment task sequence because it just needs to be done before a "real" user signs in for the first time.)

Thanks,<br/> -Michael Niehaus<br/> Director of Product Marketing, Windows Servicing, Deployment, and Store<br/> http://blogs.technet.com/mniehaus<br/> mniehaus@microsoft.com<br/>

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 3:48 AM
  • This is is expected for a Sysprep image that hasn't been deployed yet.

Many questions such as where do I find logs and what logs are interesting are found in: MDT TechNet Forum - FAQ & Getting Started Guide Please take the time to read it. Also if you don't post logs your problem won't be easily solved.

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 3:16 AM

All replies

• This is is expected for a Sysprep image that hasn't been deployed yet.

Many questions such as where do I find logs and what logs are interesting are found in: MDT TechNet Forum - FAQ & Getting Started Guide Please take the time to read it. Also if you don't post logs your problem won't be easily solved.

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 3:16 AM
  • Hi Eric :-)

Those are normal "placeholder" icons.  They will be replaced with "real" apps delivered by the Windows Store when the user logs in for the first time.  You can disable those apps (on the Enterprise SKU at least) via the "Disable consumerization features" policy, but the placeholders will still remain, so you'll need to import an updated default layout to get rid of them.  The basic steps for that:

1. Manually configure a layout that you want.
    2. Using PowerShell, execute "export-startlayout" to an XML file.
    3. As part of your task sequence, run PowerShell again to "import-startlayout".  (This can be a little tricky during image creation - it imports into the default profile, but that gets replaced by the administrator profile during sysprep.  There are workarounds.  It's easier in a deployment task sequence because it just needs to be done before a "real" user signs in for the first time.)

Thanks,<br/> -Michael Niehaus<br/> Director of Product Marketing, Windows Servicing, Deployment, and Store<br/> http://blogs.technet.com/mniehaus<br/> mniehaus@microsoft.com<br/>

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 3:48 AM
  • Thank you Michael. :)

I thought this was a problem, similar to how modern apps would have an X across them if UAC was disabled or some app provisioning pre-requisite wasn't satisfied.  I guess these placeholders do provide a cleaner geometry to the start menu for the OOBE.  It makes sense now.  Yes, I'm familiar with the start screen/menu layout management.  I'll definitely do that during deployment to avoid the trickery of doing it within the image.

Wednesday, November 30, 2016 7:21 PM
  • Hi Michael,

Can you please elaborate on how to perform step 3 of your instructions (i.e.: running PowerShell in the Deployment Task Sequence).

Kind Regards,

Davo

• Edited by Darts75 Wednesday, September 5, 2018 12:48 AM
    Wednesday, September 5, 2018 12:48 AM