none
Long Term backup using DPM RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am having Exchange 2010 setup environment and where the databases are protected by DAG. I want to take database short term backup using SAN Disk and I want to take database for long term backup using Tape library.

Tapes and SAN disks are installed in my DPM server and configured the Short term backup to save into SAN Storage disks.

Short Term Backup,

My DPM server takes the database from Mailbox server and store into SAN Storage

My question

How the DPM server take long term backup, whether the backup will take from Storage Disk (where the Short term backup data are saved) to Tape Library or Directly from Mailbox Servers to Tape Library??? same like as Short term backup porocess.

is there any possibliites to move the backup SAN storage disk to tape library????

Thanks Chandru CT. MCITP
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 2:03 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If your DPM server has a diskpool present it will copy the replica to tape as Marhijn said. If you don't have a diskpool the DPM server will copy the data directley from the protected server.

Best Regards

Robert Hedblom

MVP DPM

Check out my DPM blog @ http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 8:51 PM

All replies

• Hi Chandru,

When you do a long term back-up to tape the data wil be retrieved from the replica that is already on your SAN Storage disks. This way the only resources used are the ones from your DPM server and you can do the long term back-ups during office hours without having any extra load on your Exchange servers.

Hope this helps,

Marthijn.

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 7:55 PM
  • Hi,

If your DPM server has a diskpool present it will copy the replica to tape as Marhijn said. If you don't have a diskpool the DPM server will copy the data directley from the protected server.

Best Regards

Robert Hedblom

MVP DPM

Check out my DPM blog @ http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 8:51 PM