none
DPM 2010 Client always has "Administrator has not configured backups" status RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to configure DPM for a workstation not in the domain.  I have several problems, but the next one on my list is the DPM client on the protected workstations always shows the "Administrator has not configured backups" status.

The DPM server successfully connects to the protected system, and I have successfully generated a protection group.  I had to use the "Server" configuration as the workstation has several disks and directories which do not fit into the list provided by the "Client" configuration.  In other words I need to backup the entire disk/volume, not just specific directories.

I can go into the "Recovery" tab in the DPM Administrator console and see everything which was backed up.  So it looks like it really did work.

However, when looking at the "Protected Items" tab on the DPM client, if I attempt to select any entry, I receive the "Administrator has not configured backups" warning popup message box.

Sunday, April 17, 2011 6:55 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

to be able to use Client UI you need to use the Client configuration inside DPM Console.

Else it will be backed up like a server and the UI won't be used.

If you want to backup the entire C: volume then in the Client configuration simply use "C:\" as folder and it will backup in a recursive way.

Monday, April 18, 2011 12:23 AM
  • > If you want to backup the entire C: volume then in the Client configuration simply use "C:\" as folder and it will backup in a recursive way.

OK.  I'll give this a try.  Although this does beg the question as to how to do a bare metal restore of a client (e.g., Windows 7) workstation; given the backup created by the recursive save.

Monday, April 18, 2011 10:00 PM
  • Hi Mark,

Client protection is not designed to do BMR. It is designed to protect and recover the files and folders on your client computer/laptop in case of data loss or corruption. If a client needs to be rebuilt, just redeploy the client and then restore the files and folders using DPM.

Thanks,

Marc

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 12:19 PM
  • > Client protection is not designed to do BMR...  If a client needs to be rebuilt, just redeploy the client

This seems counter-productive to using DPM as a client backup solution.  For example, my workstation has over 30 (sometimes large) applications installed.  I use this system for development (using Visual Studio and other platforms) as well as video and audio editing.  I have done a redeployment, and it takes almost 2 days (10 - 15 hours) to load everything back when I do a new system install.

Given this situation, it would seem DPM is not really a true disaster recovery solution for some number of client workstations.  I have also tried using a "server" agent solution, but the BMR/system state options are not offered as options inthis case.  (Even though a popup suggests checking the [non-existant] system state box when drive "C" is selected for backing up.)

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 1:23 PM
  • Any suggestions as to how to use DPM for a client workstation without having to do a rebuild?  Or is a backup solution other than DPM the solution for a BMR client restore?

- Mark

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 11:35 AM
  • Hi Mark,

See this thread for a workaround that may help you:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dataprotectionmanager/thread/d9ca157e-c6f5-4685-8ac0-eb61dc29e2c4

Please use the DPM product survey to provide your feedback to our development team.

Survey Link: http://connect.microsoft.com/site840/Survey/Survey.aspx?SurveyID=11130

Thanks,

Marc

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 2:58 PM
  • Hi Marc.

I checked out the thread you mentioned, and like the orignal poster, doing a complete PC backup to have DPM do a backup really defeats the purpose of using DPM for workstations; especialy for those that are not "cookie-cutter" deployments.

I just tried the survey link, and get "Page not found".  Here are the particulars:

Page Not Found

The content that you requested cannot be found or you do not have permission to view it.

If you believe you have reached this page in error, click the Help link at the top of the page to report the issue and include this ID in your e-mail: fd63bed9-fbde-432c-9225-c2dd530a651d

- Mark

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 3:34 PM
  • Sorry Mark, apparently the survey is closed now.  Unfortunately DPM 2010 does not offer a solution for client BMR backups. 

Thanks,

Marc

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 4:19 PM