Removing First Mailbox Store 2003 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a single Exchange 2003 SP2 server running on Server 2003 SP2 in a single domain.  I've migrated all our mailboxes to a second mailbox store and I want to delete the first mailbox store.  I'm just planning to delete the mailbox store not the public folders.  There are three mailboxes that remian on the Mailbox Store  SystemMailbox{......}, SMTP...., and System Attendant.  It is my understanding from http://blogs.technet.com/b/evand/archive/2004/12/21/329172.aspx that I can safely delete this mailstore and the SA will be recreated on the second mailbox store.  My question is, what is the exact process I need to use to delete the mailbox store?  Do I first dismount the store then delete it, then delete the database files?  Do the database files get deleted automatically?  Do I need to dismount the store before deleting it or should I do it while the store is online?  I've been unable to find a concise procedure anywhere so if someone could point me to a link I'd grately appreciate it.

Thanks in advance - Jake

Friday, November 23, 2012 3:51 PM

Answers

• Hi Jake,
    Yes, you can safely delete the Mailbox Store.
    Keep it Online and just delete it in System Manager. The database files (edb+stm) + transaction logs will not be deleted in this process. You need to delete them manually.

The System Attendant Mailbox should be recreated in another database automatically, but I have seen that the service SystemAttendant sometimes needs to be restarted for that to happen.

Martina Miskovic

Friday, November 23, 2012 4:00 PM

All replies

• Hi Jake,
    Yes, you can safely delete the Mailbox Store.
    Keep it Online and just delete it in System Manager. The database files (edb+stm) + transaction logs will not be deleted in this process. You need to delete them manually.

The System Attendant Mailbox should be recreated in another database automatically, but I have seen that the service SystemAttendant sometimes needs to be restarted for that to happen.

Martina Miskovic

Friday, November 23, 2012 4:00 PM
  • Martina,

Looks like it worked wonderfully.  Thanks for your fast response!

Jake

Friday, November 23, 2012 5:11 PM
  • Hello,

You can also refer to the following article to remove the SA mailbox:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/et-EE/exchangesvradminlegacy/thread/3f2ea3ed-e2e5-4139-ba9b-91478cb1cbb7

Thanks,

Simon Wu
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, December 3, 2012 7:40 AM