VPN? RRS feed

• Question

• Can someone please indicate if VPN is working. About 3 releases ago L2TP and PPTP stopped working.

I have updated to latest and reset my phone and still does not work. SonicWALL and Cisco Anyconnect works fine.

Seems crazy that this is geared for business user and it VPN does not work. (same result on 640XL and 1520). Will have to rollback to 8.1 VPN is major requirement

Friday, March 18, 2016 8:41 PM

All replies

• After installing Windows Phone 10, please check for update and install all updates and restart your Phone.

Does it displays any error or warning?

In Apps, look for Windows Feedback and open it and report this issue.

Saturday, March 19, 2016 3:47 PM
  • Thank you for the feedback, but all updates are installed.

I am now on build 14327 and its the same issue. Sometimes I get error code 812 and sometimes 691 for any of the VPN connections using built-in providers.

Can anyone please verify if they are using built-in VPN providers specific to PPTP and L2TP and also post the device they are using? It could be that the 950/950xl has better support.

I am also tired of people blaming the VPN service side when posting for help. Using a 640xl with 8.1 it is able to connect to the 3x PPTP connections and 1x L2TP VPN service. I find it hard to believe that there is no issue at ALL when using 8.1 and on 10 all of sudden the VPN service that is to blame.

Both SonicWALL and Cisco AnyConnect continued to work up until 14327 and now Cisco AnyConnect provider no longer works. The only reason I was still able to stick with it is because AnyConnect was working. In 7 VPN was non-existent in 8 very limited, 8.1 rock solid and in 10 we are back to version 7 days. Seems insane that VPN is this low on the list.

The only reason I keep updating every time is to see if VPN by any chance is working. Going to slowring etc. none of the builds its working anymore.

1520 and 640xl behave exactly the same to all VPN session.

I was waiting for the HP Elite x3, but my option seem to be reduced to downgrading to 8.1 and revaluate switching platform, something I don't really want to do.

Thursday, April 21, 2016 10:39 PM
  • BTW I must have reported the VPN issue a hundred times. Most people are more interested in their app support and looks than using basic business services at stage of the game. Continuum and now the ability to use usb Ethernet adapters is a waste when VPN is not available IMO.
    Thursday, April 21, 2016 10:44 PM
  • HI,

I just bought a 950XL.

I have an existing IPsec/l2tp vpn that has been working ok for months for many devices, including windows 7 pcs, windows 10 pcs, ipads, windows 8.1 phones, etc.

The 950 XL will not connect despite checking all of my settings.

Another earlier post (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mobiledevices/forum/mdlumia-mdsettings/l2tp-vpn-on-lumia-950-giving-error-code-812/f10e8717-feae-4b91-a0c8-2f6b443ad092) still has no official response or answer.

Does anyone know what happened for that guy? From what HvR_za is also relating, there seems to be no point in joining the insider program to get access to newer firmware...

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 3:51 PM
  • IMDesign,

This was working for me in the Dec/Jan builds. I have reported it each time I updated or upvoted similar reports.

I was using a developer release on my Lumia 640xl for Windows phone 8.1 and that had both L2TP and PPTP working perfectly. I stupidly decided to update the 640xl to see if it will have the same problem as 1520, well it did.

Turns out the developer releases for 8.1 are no longer available using the Preview for Developers application. Now my 640xl is rolled back 8.1 again and still do not have PPTP or L2TP with shared key. Really its a mess with regards to VPN.

Cisco AnyConnect works in the current slow ring and that is my primary requirement. At this point I am stopping any updates on my primary device.

What burns me is that Microsoft releases a build on the 950 to the public where L2TP/PPTP does not work. I went to a Microsoft stored shared 1520 as hotspot and was unable to connect to a test L2TP I configured. Walked over to ATT and did the same thing on iPhone 6s and it connected instantly.

I really wish I did not update my 640xl or could get the last 8.1 developer build loaded again.  

I don't think it will be fixed anytime soon with the direction of the current changes, but at some point they hopefully loop back to it.

What is scary is that changes made to latest builds that caused Cisco AnyConnect to stop working, if it depends on Cisco to make changes to fit, it may take a long time or never happen.

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 11:14 PM
  • Also, build 14328 broke SonicWALL. This was the only VPN provider still working in 14327. I guess it has to do with the changes related to supporting USB Ethernet adapters etc.

People in the forums have been giving HP a hard time about announcing a device and only release 6+ months later with the elite x3. The doc has Ethernet builtin so I guess they had to wait.

Hopefully HP will be able to apply a bit of pressure to support VPN in a predictable manner since I cant see targeting only the business user and not have VPN.  

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 11:30 PM
  • I agree I cant understand why the VPN functionality has been such a low priority.

I cant see holding on to this phone. Time to return it

Now MS says they are committed.I say prove it by fixing VPN on Windows Phone 10

• Edited by IMDesign Wednesday, April 27, 2016 4:59 PM
    Wednesday, April 27, 2016 12:36 PM