FPSP installation problem with Sharepoint 2007 SP2 RRS feed

• Question

• We are installing FPSP 2010 (11.1.0394.0) on  two front end servers running SharePoint 2007 SP2 (12.0.6421.1000) on Windows Server 2003 R2. Both FE servers are at the same revision level.

On one server the installation went without a hitch. On the other server the installation stops with the message: "When SharePoint 2007 is installed it must have Service Pack 1 or higher" with a link to download SP1. Of course, as mentioned it is on SP2.

What may be causing this problem? Does it query the registry or other location to check the SP version? Where does it look for this information? We may be able to correct it if this is the problem.

Thanks

Carl

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 10:29 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for the post.

As far as I know, <input type="hidden" />you can install Forefront Protection 2010 for SharePoint (FPSP) on a server that’s running Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 SP1, or SP2.  Please check the following requirement:

Verifying system requirements

This topic describes the minimum server and workstation requirements for Microsoft Forefront Protection 2010 for SharePoint (FPSP).

Note: To protect Exchange Server, if both the Exchange Server and SharePoint Products and Technologies are installed on the same server, only Microsoft Forefront Protection 2010 for Exchange Server can be installed.

Minimum server requirements

The following are the minimum server requirements:

Important:

Due to a difference in system resources, FPSP performs significantly better on a 64-bit operating system (OS) than on a 32-bit OS. If your organization expects to have large capacity requirements on SharePoint server, it is recommended that you install the 64-bit OS and a 64-bit SharePoint front-end server before installing FPSP.

• Microsoft Windows Server 2003 SP2 (Standard, Enterprise, Datacenter, or Web Edition), Microsoft Windows Server 2008, or Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2.

• Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.

• Microsoft XML Core Services (MSXML) 6.0 SP1.

• Internet Information Services (IIS) in IIS 6.0 worker process isolation mode.

• Microsoft Chart Controls for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5. If these controls are not already present, they will be installed during the FPSP installation process.

• Windows PowerShell 1.0.

• NTFS file system.

• Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2010, Microsoft SharePoint Foundation 2010, Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 SP1, or Windows SharePoint Services version 3 SP1.

• Microsoft Filter Pack 2.0.

• 2 gigabytes (GB) of free memory in addition to that required to run SharePoint server. For more information about the memory requirements for running SharePoint server, consult your SharePoint server planning documentation.

Note:

Less memory is required if Intelligent Engine Management (IEM) is not enabled and fewer than 5 engines are selected (approximately 250 MB of memory per engine).

• 2 GB of available disk space. This is in addition to the disk space required for SharePoint server. Utilizing a server as a redistribution server for updates requires additional disk space.

• A four core server with 2.0 GHz or higher processors is recommended. Lower performing servers are supported, but file latency times may increase.

Regards,

Nick Gu - MSFT

Thursday, November 8, 2012 2:43 AM
  • Thank you for your response Nick.

I am familiar with the system requirements and should have made that more clear.

As I mentioned, it was installed successfully on one of the two FE servers which have the same configuration, applications, and patch level. I should also mention this implementation was first installed in our QA environment  prior to the production roll-out, and also went in without issue.

The question again is, where does the setup program look on the system to determine which service pack is installed?   The message we're getting is "When SharePoint 2007 is installed it must have Service Pack 1 or higher". It makes sense that setup looked somewhere (the registry possibly) to make the determination that the system did not have SP 1 or higher. If it happens to be a registry key that should have been cleaned up it would be an easy fix. We just need to know where to look.

thanks for your help,

Carl

Thursday, November 8, 2012 3:43 PM
  • Hi Carl,

Thank you for your update.

I understand that you want to know the detailed prerequisites check process for FPSP, but I cannot find anything regarding this after some research. If you want to know more in-depth of this process, I suggest you open a case with Microsoft.

Regards,

Nick Gu - MSFT

Monday, November 12, 2012 7:21 AM
  • Thanks Nick

Yes, our research has not turned up anything either. I was hoping someone may have come across this or a similar issue before and may have had some insight.

Another angle would have been an option to force the install but we were unable to find such an option.

Thanks anyway for looking into it. When we find the solution I'll post it here.

Monday, November 12, 2012 2:09 PM