Activiation after Clean Installation of Vista due to System Crash RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all,

I have a XP notebook and have it upgraded to Windows Vista with a genuine Windows Vista Business OEM software (Express upgrade).

After system crash I have performed a clean installation with that Vista CD and got everything OK.

A few months later, whenever I login to the Windows systems, the wallpaper turns black and there is only an activiation dialogue box showing up, with the following options:

1. "Activate Windows online now" - prompt error, probably becoz the license key is not for clean install
    2. "Access your computer with reducted functionality" - prompt a IE browser, and ask me to upgrade to IE 9, but end up telling me that the version auto-download is not compatible with my windows version
    3. "Retype your product key" - no luck, the system tells me that my license key is not for clean install
    4. "Use my modem to connect directly to the activation service" - irrelevant
    5. "Use the automated phone system" - the MS Hong Kong hotline told me that it is an activation problem, the activation hotline told me that the procedure on hand can only proceed if I can trigger the "Start" menu, in which I cannot.

I got some important data in my notebook, thus restoring the system is not my option.

Anything I can do to activate my windows?

• Edited by Boris Kong Friday, July 10, 2015 3:01 AM
    Friday, July 10, 2015 3:01 AM

All replies

• Hi Boris,

1. You can access your data without OS being operational. You can boot with installation media. When the  welcome screen opens, you can then open CMD window with Shift+F10 and you can then copy data to external media. I believe you can copy data in reduced functionality too.

2. As far as I remember "Vista days", it was possible to activate with upgrade key by doing second install. The second install was considered "upgrade" of first install, even if the first install was clean Vista installation. The second install shoud preserve your data, but of course, you must have backup of your files if you want to be on the safe side.

3. If you did not exhaust your rearm count, you can rearm your Windows and "buy" yourself another month of using Windows

To rearm open CMD window and run command:

slmgr -rearm

• Edited by Les52 Friday, July 10, 2015 7:50 AM
    Friday, July 10, 2015 7:45 AM
  • "Express Upgrade"...How was a clean installation of vista accomplished..A clean install,is installing/formatting

in MS-DOS thru the installation cd.If the OS crashed,then xp would have to be installed 1st,then upgrade

to vista.As youre software states "Upgrade".Try reinstalling,boot to xp cd,format the HD,install xp.Once thru

install vista

Also,if OS updates get out of hand,install the microsoft MBSA utility,it'll let you know whats missing,& how

to correct the OS

Saturday, July 11, 2015 3:44 AM