none
hard drive failure edb file not recovered missing log files HELP

Question

• Hi

I have an exchange 2013 running on server 2012. They had a hard drive failure on their exchange drive and no working backup. 

the hard drive was recovered luckily with 98% recovered however not the edb database file. No problem I have the log files ill just replay the log files. however there are a few missing and it stops at the first one which is only 6 month into a 4 years of emails. 

is there any way to skip or create a dummy logs. i understand that the emails in that log has gone but any way to skip, cant find anything online

thanks

in advance

Dave

Monday, July 9, 2018 11:12 AM

All replies

• While its possible to do a lossy recovery in some instances using the /a switch its fairly rare and the cmdlet feedback would let you know if that was possible, i.e. it would be something like "Recovery has indicated that there might be a lossy recovery option"

With that in mind

1. You can NOT roll logs into any other database other then the one the logs were created for, i.e. you have to have a database from a specific point in time, i.e. original creation date or some other point in time of the DB life

2. You can NOT, roll logs into a db that is consistent/clean, it must be a database that was backed up or inconsistent/dirty mode i.e. not properly downed

3. You cannot roll logs from a previous instance of a DB into a dial toned version of that DB, only new logs post creation of a DB are allowed to be rolled up

4. You can only roll logs forward from the last point in time log that was applied, i.e. if you have a database that has logs rolled up to today, you cannot re-role logs from say last week

5. Logs MUST be sequential, i.e. there is no way to skip over logs and then apply the available logs, i.e. unless you see the message above in bold/underlined the log rollup will only occur up to the last sequential log.  So if you have 1000 logs and the 540th is missing you can only roll to log 539 or earlier

Wish I had better news for you.  Did you by chance attempt a recover tool on the volume that held the EDB?  if not you might try that first, however realize that the more you wrote to that drive  from the time of failure the less chance you have of recovery.   You might also try chkdsk to see if it can recover the file

Search, Recover, Export Mailboxes, Folders, Email, Contacts, Calendars, Tasks, etc. from Offline Exchange Databases (EDBs), On-Premise Exchange Servers and Office 365. Migrate/Recover direct from any offline EDB into any On-Premises Exchange Server, even cross version i.e. 2003 → 2007 → 2010 →2013 → 2016 → Office 365 with Lucid8's DigiScope

Monday, July 9, 2018 5:55 PM
  • Hi Dave,

I'm just writing to check how's everything going? If you have any questions or needed further help on this issue, please feel free to post back. If the issue has been resolved, please mark the helpful replies as answers, this will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well. Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,
    Niko Cheng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

14 hours 37 minutes ago