Specific compatibility question for PowerQuery in Excel RRS feed

• Question

• We have SharePoint 2016 with OOS 2016, backed by SQL Server 2014.  What I am trying to accomplish is create a situation where PowerQuery queries written in Excel 2016 that are embedded to a workbook, and link to another workbook hosted in SharePoint, will be able to refresh their data while open in a web browser via OOS.  Note that these PowerQuery data connections work fine if open in Excel on the desktop.  Non-power query data source connections also seem to be able to refresh in the browser, at least to a database (I have not tried this to another workbook yet).  This question is, therefore, not about data source connections that do not use PowerQuery.

This question also does not pertain to PowerQuery queries in an Excel workbook, open in a web browser via OOS, that query an SQL Server database.  This is very specifically about querying other Excel workbooks.  I am going to need an answer on PQ to SQL server databases issue, but I want to address that in a different thread, because it's a different problem.

Is there any configuration of SP 2016, SQL Server 2014, and OOS 2016 that makes this work?

For that matter, since we are looking at migrating to SP Online next year, I need to ask the same question in reference to SP Online as for SP2016 On Premise.

Monday, September 24, 2018 5:23 PM

Answers

• Hi there. The web version of Excel currently doesn't support refreshing Power Query queries. It can only be done in Excel desktop.

Have you considered using Power BI?

Ehren

• Marked as answer by bpoindexter Tuesday, September 25, 2018 3:56 PM
    Monday, September 24, 2018 10:43 PM

All replies

• Hi there. The web version of Excel currently doesn't support refreshing Power Query queries. It can only be done in Excel desktop.

Ehren

• Marked as answer by bpoindexter Tuesday, September 25, 2018 3:56 PM
    Monday, September 24, 2018 10:43 PM

Ehren

Thanks for your answer.  Yes, I am considering floating the use of Power BI to management for business data analytics.  That won't happen in the short term, but it is on my to do list.
    Tuesday, September 25, 2018 3:56 PM