Can't install Azure Backup Server agents on any servers RRS feed

• Question

• I have a domain with a few servers. There is one server I am dedicating to running Azure Backup Server. I have to use Azure Backup Server since I want application-level backups for SQL Server. However, when trying to install the agent on a protected server (any server) I get the following error:

Install protection agent on pc1.domain.com failed:
    Error 347: An error occurred when the agent operation attempted to create the DPM Agent Coordinator service on pc1.domain.com.
    Error details: Unknown error (0x80990a2d)
    Recommended action: Verify that the Agent Coordinator service on pc1.domain.com is responding, if it is present. Review the error details, take the appropriate action, and then retry the agent operation.

If I try to manually install the agent on the target server, I get the error below.

I run this command, where DPM1 is the DPM/MABS server: .\DPMAgentInstaller_x64.exe DPM1

I get this error:

• Edited by noamo48 Saturday, April 2, 2016 10:06 PM
    Saturday, April 2, 2016 6:35 PM

Answers

• Turns out that the servers had an old installation of "Microsoft System Center DPM Protection Agent". After uninstalling this, I was able to push the agent from the DPM console with no issues. Hope this helps someone else.
    • Marked as answer by noamo48 Saturday, April 9, 2016 3:53 PM
    Saturday, April 9, 2016 3:53 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for posting here.

To resolve this issue, do the following:

• Verify that the DPM Agent Coordinator service on <Server Name> is responding, if it is present. Review the error details, take the appropriate action, and then retry the agent installation operation.
    • Try installing the protection agent manually on the targeted computer. For more information, in the DPM Deployment Guide, see Installing Protection Agents Manually in the DPM 2010 Technical Library.
    • If the targeted computer is running Windows Server 2008, on the targeted computer, do the following:
      1. Download and manually install the hotfix described in article 975759 in the Microsoft Knowledge Base.
      2. Resolve any errors that you receive during the installation of the hotfix. If you receive the error, "The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it," do the following:
        • In Service Manager, expand Configuration, and then click Services.
        • In the Services pane, right-click Windows Update, and then click Properties.
        • In the Windows Update Properties dialog box, in the Start-Up type list, click Manual, click Apply, and then, in the Service status area, click Start.
        • Retry the agent installation operation.

Regards,

Vikranth S.

Sunday, April 3, 2016 10:17 AM
  • I already tried all of those steps and posted the results. The server is Windows 2008 R2 so the hotfix is not applicable.
    Sunday, April 3, 2016 4:44 PM
  • Hello,

Try to install the protection agents manually. For more information about manually installing protection agents, see Installing Protection Agents Manually (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=179676).

Regards,

Vikranth S.

• Edited by vikranth s Wednesday, April 6, 2016 4:16 PM
    Wednesday, April 6, 2016 4:14 PM
  • I appreciate you following up on this, but could you please take the 30 seconds to actually read my original post and see where I wrote "If I try to manually install the agent on the target server, I get the error below." and included the command and screenshot?
    Wednesday, April 6, 2016 7:36 PM
  • Hello,

Can you please try these:
    If time is in not sync, synchronize the time on the DPM server will enable you to install DPM agent and also the existing DPM agent is able to contact the server.

Regards,

Vikranth S.

Thursday, April 7, 2016 2:48 PM
  • The time on both the DPM server and the target server are sync'd, they are both in the same domain/subnet, there is full connectivity between the two. Not sure where else to go from here.
    Friday, April 8, 2016 12:13 AM
  • On the protected server, after trying to install the agent remotely, I see the following error in the System log of the event viewer:

The DPM Agent Coordinator service terminated with service-specific error %%-2137454037.

Saturday, April 9, 2016 4:47 AM
  • Turns out that the servers had an old installation of "Microsoft System Center DPM Protection Agent". After uninstalling this, I was able to push the agent from the DPM console with no issues. Hope this helps someone else.
    • Marked as answer by noamo48 Saturday, April 9, 2016 3:53 PM
    Saturday, April 9, 2016 3:53 PM