Testing 2007 to 2010 Mailbox Move - How long should one mailbox take to move? RRS feed

• Question

• Hey Guys,

I'm in the middle of my first transition from Exchange 2007 to 2010, and while most of the process has gone smooth, I've run into what seems like an issue in regards to the time it takes to move one mailbox from the 2007 server to 2010.  I moved a 780MB mailbox that ended up taking 1 day, 16 hours to move completely to the 2010 server.

I understand that all environments are different, but something seems off.

Exchange 2007 Server Hardware:

2.13 Core 2 Duo, 4GB Memory, Server 2003 x64, RAID-1 500GB 7200 RPM SATA Drives, Gigabit NIC

Exchange 2010 Server:

(Host - Server 2008 R2 Datacenter, 2.4 Xeon Quad Core, 8GB Memory, RAID-1 500GB 7200 RPM SATA Drives)

VM: 2 Cores, 3GB Memory, Fixed Size VHD

Can anyone shed some light on this, or does the mailbox really just take forever?

Thursday, September 30, 2010 7:43 PM

Answers

• Something definitely seems wrong here;

1. How many active users on each system?
    2. is there anything else happening on either server to causes congestion of I/O = CPU etc?
    3. Have you tested a file copy between the two servers to ensure there is not a network bottleneck between the two servers?
    4. Are you using 2010 RTM or SP1? 
    5. If RTM I would suggest you go to SP1 since many changes and fixes were made to enhance the migration process or at least to RTM RU4 but SP1 is best IMHO
    6. What commands are you running and from where?
    7. Anything in the event logs?

Troy Werelius

http://www.lucid8.com/

• Proposed as answer by Troy Werelius Friday, October 1, 2010 4:24 PM
    • Marked as answer by Gavin-Zhang Friday, October 8, 2010 9:34 AM
    Thursday, September 30, 2010 10:00 PM
  • Hi warhawk03,

In my opinion, the cost time of moving mailbox would depend on the exchange server idle time, exchange server capability, the network, the disk I/O and so on.
    Sure, it is not easy to confirm how those affect the move process , that is if many clients connect the exchange server, and many emails need the exchange server handle, all would affect the other process, such as move mailbox.

Regards!
    Gavin
    Wednesday, October 6, 2010 10:33 AM

All replies

• Something definitely seems wrong here;

1. How many active users on each system?
    2. is there anything else happening on either server to causes congestion of I/O = CPU etc?
    3. Have you tested a file copy between the two servers to ensure there is not a network bottleneck between the two servers?
    4. Are you using 2010 RTM or SP1? 
    5. If RTM I would suggest you go to SP1 since many changes and fixes were made to enhance the migration process or at least to RTM RU4 but SP1 is best IMHO
    6. What commands are you running and from where?
    7. Anything in the event logs?

Troy Werelius

http://www.lucid8.com/

• Proposed as answer by Troy Werelius Friday, October 1, 2010 4:24 PM
    Thursday, September 30, 2010 10:00 PM
  • Hi warhawk03,

In my opinion, the cost time of moving mailbox would depend on the exchange server idle time, exchange server capability, the network, the disk I/O and so on.
    Sure, it is not easy to confirm how those affect the move process , that is if many clients connect the exchange server, and many emails need the exchange server handle, all would affect the other process, such as move mailbox.

Regards!
    Gavin
    Wednesday, October 6, 2010 10:33 AM