none
Convert Ubuntu Linux 14.04 physical to Hyper-V virtual RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all-

I currently have an Ubuntu Linux 14.04 Server running on a physical HP ProLiant DL380.  I would like to convert the physical server to a Hyper-V virtual machine.  After searching the web a bit, I found a couple of different approaches:

1.  Use of DD and VHDTool

2.  Use of CloneZilla and gparted

I also have System Center VMM 2016 up and running on my two Server 2016 Hyper-V hosts.

Can anyone advise on the simplest approach / path of least resistance?  I also wonder if there are free tools available from VMWare, Citrix, open source that may do the trick?

Thanks!
    Wednesday, August 16, 2017 5:12 PM

Answers

• Hello,

You can use VMWare vCenter Convert to convert the Ubuntu Linux on physical machine to virtual machine.

Then you use Microsoft Virtual Machine Converter to convert VMWare VM to Hyper-V VM.

Best regards,

Andy Liu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by PSFA Thursday, August 17, 2017 4:46 PM
    Thursday, August 17, 2017 8:00 AM

All replies

• Hello,

You can use VMWare vCenter Convert to convert the Ubuntu Linux on physical machine to virtual machine.

Then you use Microsoft Virtual Machine Converter to convert VMWare VM to Hyper-V VM.

Best regards,

Andy Liu

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by PSFA Thursday, August 17, 2017 4:46 PM
    Thursday, August 17, 2017 8:00 AM
  • Just what I was looking for.  Thanks much Andy!
    Thursday, August 17, 2017 4:47 PM
  • You are welcome!

Friday, August 18, 2017 1:14 AM
  • This is an old thread but for others that might come across it .....This sounds too good to be true and from what I can see it is.  From the vmware documentation:

"For conversions of powered on source machines that run Linux, the only supported destination is a vSphere destination"

So assuming I don't have a vSphere setup there is no way to continue, such as getting the file and using the Microsoft converter on it.   The Microsoft converter of course only does windows machines :( So as far as I can tell I am back to the old fashioned and tedios way of doing it or just building a new machine and trying to move everything without forgetting any.

Very sad, I was hopefuly this was a viable solution.

Andy

Saturday, June 8, 2019 5:28 AM
  • This wouldn't work if you don't have installed vSphere server.

"For conversions of powered on source machines that run Linux, the only supported destination is a vSphere destination".

Friday, November 29, 2019 6:04 AM