Win10 version 1903 and WSUS OU with older Windows version installed RRS feed

• Question

• We have an AD OU and WSUS group policy at our office running Win10 ver 1803,  we have a WSUS group policy and have not approved running a newer Windows version yet beyond 1803.

Our company purchased some new laptops that have Win10 ver 1903 pre installed.  

I am afraid if I put the newer laptops that have Win10 ver 1903 pre installed in the same OU as our other WSUS pc's that only have version 1803 approved a rollback might happen or it could do something bad to the OS?  

Can someone guide me here with a recommendation or best practices for this situation?  I'm not sure we are ready to move everyone to version 1903 just yet.

Wednesday, January 8, 2020 3:49 PM

All replies

• I am afraid if I put the newer laptops that have Win10 ver 1903 pre installed in the same OU as our other WSUS pc's that only have version 1803 approved a rollback might happen or it could do something bad to the OS?  

Hi,

Rollback does not happen.
    In fact, the GPO will determine how the client computer is automatically installed and some parameters about Windows update. It will not determine what updates will be installed and not installed. If the "Enable client-side targeting" policy is not enabled in the GPO, then the clients in WSUS also need to be grouped by yourself. In fact, which updates are installed depends on which computer group you put these 1903 clients into.

My suggestion, if these version 1903 clients can follow the update installation mode (automatic installation plan, user operation, etc.) of the existing version 1803 client, then the client can be updated in the same OU in time, as long as the client is in WSUS End system versions can be grouped. 

But if the computer grouping in WSUS is based on the "Enable client-side targeting" in the group policy, then setting up a different OU is a better choice.

Hope the above can help you.

Regards,
    Yic

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 9, 2020 4:44 AM