none
Exchange Tape job backing-up Databases twice RRS feed

• Question

• We have a protection group protecting Exchange 2010 DAG for 3 Mailbox servers. In the protection job we 1) selected each of the Dag's on each MB server, 2) Selected Disk and and tape, for Exchange DAG protection we have selected Full Backup on the primary Node and Copy Backup on the other appropriate node.

Problem:  When tape based backup occurs I see the DAG copy backup twice one for the primary node and one for the Copy backup node.  Naturally this is doubling my tape usage. 

So when I go in to my custom filter sorted by Protection group for tape jobs of the last 7 days I see the following

Source                                           Computer

dag1-NAME-DB01                          Mailbox server 1

dag1-NAME-DB01                          Mailbox Server 3

How do I fix this?

Monday, January 21, 2013 7:40 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You need to make two separate Protection Groups (PG's).  In one PG you protect the one DAG member and do both disk and tape protection.  In the other PG you protect the other dag member and do disk backup only.  

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 12:58 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You need to make two separate Protection Groups (PG's).  In one PG you protect the one DAG member and do both disk and tape protection.  In the other PG you protect the other dag member and do disk backup only.  

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 12:58 AM
  • Mike that is the obvious answer and thank you but you would think after 5-6 years of development that DPM would have the intelligence or the capability in the same protection group to make these types of decisions.  
    Tuesday, January 22, 2013 5:14 PM
  • Hi,

The definition of a protection group as defined in the deployment documentation is:

<snip>
    A protection group is a collection of data sources, such as volumes, shares, or Exchange Server storage groups, which have a common protection configuration. Data sources within a protection group are referred to as protection group members or simply members. The protection group configuration encapsulates the data backup targets (disk or tape), the protection schedule that specifies how often to synchronize the replica with the live data on the protected computer and when to create recovery points of the replica, and the performance options that you want to enable, such as on-the-wire compression and daily consistency checks.
    <snip<

So why would you want to define "uncommon goals" to data sources in a PG  - to me that would get very confusing very quickly.

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 6:36 PM