On windows 10 Creators edition (1703) OutputDebugString is used internally in the win32 API RRS feed

• Question

• https://github.com/djeedjay/DebugViewPP/issues/277

This problem is really specific to this application. It could not handle the case where the Debugview application _itself_ posted an OutputDebugString  message at startup, when it was not actually handling the incoming messages yet.

However, this feedback is about whether it is ok that the Win32 API is internally issuing OutputDebugString messages. To my knowledge, this was not done in the past / I've never seen it since windows 10 Creators edition (1703).

As a side-note, (unrelated to this issue)

This also goes for some microsoft products and windows services, specifically Visual Studio is notorious on this, it posts lots of OutputDebugString messages at startup. I think it is a bit odd that a debugger (I would say _the_ debugger) for windows is using the OutputDebugString API by default, that output possibly get interleaved with messages from the application under test.

I would suggest it would be good to output debug information output when it is explicitly requested/enabled. I have send this request to the visual studio team using the internal Feedback option.

Wednesday, June 28, 2017 10:59 PM

All replies

• I see you have feedbacked it. We sincerely appreciate your taking time to provide your feedback and thank you for the collected data. I will also submit it to system product team via our internal feedback tool.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 30, 2017 8:44 AM