none
Exchange 2007 - Outlook 2003 oof not working. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi to all

My configuration is Exchange server 2007 with outlook 2003

In one user the oof is not working.

I don't see any error when activate the Out of Office but also when I send an email to the specific user I don't also receive anything.

Somewhere I read that: I have to run outlook.exe /cleanrules. (if you agree, this will be my first step)

I would like to ask if this command affect anything else except the oof (the specific user has create a lot of rules and I don't want to loose anything)

My second step will be the http://support.microsoft.com/kb/248709/en-us

If you have any objections or want to suggest something else all submissions are accepted.

Thanks for your time.

PS: I'm sorry for my English

Friday, March 21, 2014 10:19 PM

Answers

• Im terrible sorry for the delay.

The step i follow is this

1)Backup the rules for the specific user

2)Remove all the rules from the specific user. (I enable the oof to make a check but still no answer)

3)run outlook.exe /cleanrules.

After the cleanrules the OOF run like a charm.

Thank you all for your help.

• Marked as answer by Vagelisr Thursday, March 27, 2014 9:40 AM
    Thursday, March 27, 2014 9:39 AM

All replies

• I'd follow the KB article.

I've seen many OOF problems caused by different versions of Outlook and ActiveSync being used on the same mailbox. Sometime the entire set of rules is present multiple times in the same mailbox. You may find more of those OOF templates than you'd expect to see in the mailbox.

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE&I, Exchange MVP

Saturday, March 22, 2014 3:58 PM
  • This is very weird issue, but trust me the issue is with Outlook client and not with Exchange.
    I came across with the same issue sometime back.

What you need to do is...
    One the client machine, disable OOF.
    Create a Outlook rule for OOF.
    Test it and I am sure you will get a OOF response as OOF response not a form of Outlook response.
    Disable the rule and enable OOF and test it.

About outlook /cleanrules might help, but make sure you back up the rule before you run the command.

Cheers,

Gulab Prasad

Technology Consultant

Blog: http://www.exchangeranger.com    Twitter:   LinkedIn:
       Check out CodeTwo’s tools for Exchange admins

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Saturday, March 22, 2014 7:53 PM
  • First of all thank you for you time both of you.

I forgot to mention that I have already try to enable oof from OWA with the same results (I did not receive any answer from the specific user).

Of course I will take backup the rules and to be absolutely sure I will make them restore to another user, and after this I will run the outlook.exe /cleanrules but before all of them I will try the Gulab Prasad suggestion to disable oof and create a rule for oof.

Tomorrow I will make my check and I will inform you about the result.

Thanks again  

Sunday, March 23, 2014 12:00 PM
  • Im terrible sorry for the delay.

The step i follow is this

1)Backup the rules for the specific user

2)Remove all the rules from the specific user. (I enable the oof to make a check but still no answer)

3)run outlook.exe /cleanrules.

After the cleanrules the OOF run like a charm.

Thank you all for your help.

• Marked as answer by Vagelisr Thursday, March 27, 2014 9:40 AM
    Thursday, March 27, 2014 9:39 AM
  • Good to hear issue is resolved :)

Cheers,

Gulab Prasad

Technology Consultant

Blog: http://www.exchangeranger.com    Twitter:   LinkedIn:
       Check out CodeTwo’s tools for Exchange admins

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Thursday, March 27, 2014 9:42 AM