Grid noise on shutdown. RRS feed

• Question

• It seems that Steady state will be meeting pretty much all my needs for our loaner laptops and potentially our lab computers.  My only concern is that when I shut down the laptop after comitting changes I hear a grinding popping noise from the hard drive area.  The last time I heared a similar noise was decades ago when I would power off my old 386 without parking the drive.  Should I be concerned about this?
    Friday, February 15, 2008 10:58 PM

Answers

• Hi,

After checking the issue, I understand that you would like to know if the noise from the hard disk is related to SteadyState.

Before we go any further, I would like to know if the it has noise or not when performing other actions to the hard drive, such as coping/deleting huge files.

Based on my experience, this can be a normal issue when the hard drive is busy performing read or write actions. Especially on some old drives. As you may know, all system changes to drive C will be cached first. When the system restarts, changes will be read from the cache file and then write to the system. Usually, the cache file will take several GBs, and it will take some time to perform these actions for most drives. Thus, I think this is an normal behavior and we can safely ignore it.

If you worry about the health of the hard drive, we can run check disk by performing the steps below:

1. Temporary disable Windows Disk Protection (WDP) from SteadyState, restart the computer.
    2. Restart the computer and log on the computer by using the user with Administrator privilege.
    3. Click Start, go to Run, type "cmd" and press Enter.
    4. Use the command "CHKDSK" and press Enter.
    5. After the check completes, we can see if there is any bad sectors on the disk.

Best regards,

Monday, February 18, 2008 8:48 AM