none
Fixed start date and variable end date RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using Project 2010 Standard. Task A has already started. It can't end until 2 weeks after the completion of task B. The only way I can make Project schedule this task is by doing so manually, allowing Project to calculate the duration. But then if the end date of task B changes, Project reschedules the entire task based on the duration without regard for the start date. If I add a % complete to task A, then the end date doesn't change if the end date of task B does. Project seems to fix the duration once it's calculated. I need the duration to be flexible based on the fixed start date and the end date of task B. This project file is stored in SharePoint so I can't make task A a hammock task. I get the error "You cannot create links from a project file that exists on a Web folder to another file" even though it's the same file. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Wednesday, January 7, 2015 6:10 PM

Answers

• WhoKnows,

Yes, that's right, my "trick" is a compromise. You will need to do a little setup and there will be a gap but I'm afraid it's the best you'll get without a hammock task or some VBA.

Sorry,

John

Wednesday, January 7, 2015 9:48 PM

All replies

• WhoKnows,

I'm afraid without a hammock task the only way to do what you want is either with a manual reschedule or a macro to recalculate the duration of Task A when Task B moves.

Update: Okay, after playing around here is a little trick that might work.

1. Break Task A into two parts (e.g. -1 and -2)

2. Set the predecessor of Task A-2 to be finish-to-start with Task A-1 and finish-to-finish + 2w with Task B

Depending on the nature of Task A you may still need to do a little manual adjusting but it will effectively allow the start of Task A to be fixed and the finish to be variable depending on the status of Task B. Does that work for you?

John

Wednesday, January 7, 2015 7:40 PM
  • Creating a new Task A-2 and assigning the predecessors as you describe gives me an end date that is now variable based on Task B. However, when I created Task A-2, Project assigned a default duration of 1 day, leaving me in the same situation as before, subject to the duration instead of calculating it. I now have a gap between the end of Task A-1 and the start of A-2.

Wednesday, January 7, 2015 9:39 PM
  • WhoKnows,

Yes, that's right, my "trick" is a compromise. You will need to do a little setup and there will be a gap but I'm afraid it's the best you'll get without a hammock task or some VBA.

Sorry,

John

Wednesday, January 7, 2015 9:48 PM
  • Thanks
    Wednesday, January 7, 2015 10:10 PM
  • WhoKnows,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

John

Thursday, January 8, 2015 1:53 AM