PC Restarts Spontaneously, no BSOD, Kernel-Power Event 41, no Bugcheck Code RRS feed

• Question

• My PC restarts spontaneously and random times. Sometimes I'm not doing anything, away from the PC, and sometimes I'm gaming. When the PC tries to "restart" it seems to have difficulty actually rebooting and I can see the fans and lights turning on and off, unsuccessfully restarting. At one point it kept doing this for a solid 2 minutes and out of frustration I banged on the top of the PC and it restarted successfully and ran for another couple/several hours. Now everytime this happens and the PC is having trouble rebooting after the random crash, all I have to do is bang on the top of the PC and it will reboot correctly. Sometimes this happens once a day, twice a day, or every other day.

My Specs: (None of my hardware is overclocked)

CPU: i7-7700K @ 4.20GHz 

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Motherboard: MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon

GPU: EVGA GTX 750 Ti

OS SSD: Corsair Force MP500

Storage SSD: Samsung 850 EVO

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB DDR4 3200

PSU: 850W EVGA SuperNOVA

I Use CoreTemp to monitor my CPU temperature. All 4 cores idle between 29-35 and at max reach mid 60s while rendering video or playing games.

All my drivers for my various hardware and software updated

I used the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool and my RAM seems to be fine, no errors found.

I used the one that scans hard drives as well, there were no errors in either of my SSDs.

I'm not sure how to check my CPU, GPU or Motherboard for errors but I would assume if any of those 3 were the problem I would get a BSOD or a Bugcheck Code in the event log

<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
      <EventID>41</EventID>
      <Version>6</Version>
      <Level>1</Level>
      <Task>63</Task>
      <Opcode>0</Opcode>
      <Keywords>0x8000400000000002</Keywords>
      <TimeCreated SystemTime="2018-03-17T13:21:16.341499700Z" />
      <EventRecordID>6770</EventRecordID>
      <Correlation />
      <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
      <Channel>System</Channel>
      <Computer>DESKTOP-JBSEFAJ</Computer>
      <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
      </System>
    - <EventData>
      <Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
      <Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
      <Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
      <Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
      <Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
      <Data Name="SleepInProgress">0</Data>
      <Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
      <Data Name="BootAppStatus">0</Data>
      <Data Name="Checkpoint">0</Data>
      <Data Name="ConnectedStandbyInProgress">false</Data>
      <Data Name="SystemSleepTransitionsToOn">1</Data>
      <Data Name="CsEntryScenarioInstanceId">0</Data>
      <Data Name="BugcheckInfoFromEFI">true</Data>
      <Data Name="CheckpointStatus">0</Data>

I'm assuming it's the power supply but I unfortunately don't have a spare one that can give sufficient power to my hardware to test. I do however find it odd that when the PC does spontaneously restart, and fails to, that physically hitting the PC somehow forces it to reboot correctly. Could I get any help on this issue. Also this my first time asking a question on this website, my apologies if I didn't post correct information or posted it in the wrong forum.

(I specifically selected to post this in the Windows 10 forum but it somehow redirected it to Windows 7. Sorry?)
    Sunday, March 18, 2018 2:30 AM

All replies

• To evaluate the computer environment please post logs for troubleshooting.

Using administrative command prompt copy and paste this whole command:

Make sure the default language is English so that the logs can be scanned and read.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3813-language-add-remove-change-windows-10-a.html

The command will automatically collect the computer files and place them on the desktop.

Then use one drive or drop box to place share links into the thread for troubleshooting.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Share-OneDrive-files-and-folders-9fcc2f7d-de0c-4cec-93b0-a82024800c07

This command will automatically collect these files:  msinfo32, dxdiag, mini dumps, drivers, hosts, install, uninstall, services, startup, event viewer files, etc.

Open administrative command prompt and copy and paste the whole command:

copy %SystemRoot%\minidump\*.dmp "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\"&dxdiag /t %Temp%\dxdiag.txt&copy %Temp%\dxdiag.txt "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\SFdebugFiles\"&type %SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\etc\hosts >> "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\hosts.txt"&systeminfo > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\systeminfo.txt"&driverquery /v > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\drivers.txt" &msinfo32 /nfo "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\msinfo32.nfo"&wevtutil qe System /f:text > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\eventlog.txt"&reg export HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\uninstall.txt"&reg export "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components" "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\installed.txt"&net start > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\services.txt"&REM wmic startup list full /format:htable >"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\startup.html"&wmic STARTUP GET Caption, Command, User >"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\startup.txt"

There is 1 file for you to find manually:  memory dump file:

C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP

Use file explorer > this PC > local C: drive > right upper corner search enter each of the above to find results.

Sometimes the dxdiag file needs to be found and saved manually:  In the left lower corner search type:  dxdiag > When the DirectX Diagnostic Tool opens click on the next page button so that each tab is opened > click on save all information > save to desktop > post one drive or drop box share link into the thread

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    Sunday, March 18, 2018 4:16 AM
  • Please check on this: https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/2028504/windows-kernel-event-id-41-error-the-system-has-rebooted-without-clean. It describes the same issue you have.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Ahmed MALEK

My Website Link

My Linkedin Profile

My MVP Profile

Sunday, March 18, 2018 10:10 PM