updates not included in ADR's RRS feed

• Question

• sometimes I want to add an update thats not part of any ADR so I will
    download it and then edit the group membership so it gets deployed, sometimes this works
    and sometimes it does not, what should I do different?
    Monday, February 3, 2014 1:45 PM

Answers

• I do have 2 non ADR groups, I will edit membership to one of those and let you know what happens. Thanks for your reply.
    • Marked as answer by Bennie Chen Friday, February 7, 2014 2:48 AM
    Tuesday, February 4, 2014 2:16 PM

All replies

• Please define " sometimes this works and sometimes it does not".

Are you getting an error, does the update not show up in the update group, something else?

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

Monday, February 3, 2014 2:05 PM
  • Why not include it in the ADR?
    Tuesday, February 4, 2014 4:08 AM
  • We error on the side of caution when it comes to updates via ADR, only security and critical are automated. However every now and then an update will come along that i want included and pushed out.

For example: KB2861855 does not have a severity so the ADR does not pick it up, but I want to deploy it so I download it then edit its membership to a group that does get replicated and deployed, in a few minutes I see that under deployed it says YES, the next day I come in and under Deployed it says NO.

Is it possible that when the ADR runs at night it removes it; should I create a group that gets replicated but has no ADR?

I am getting no errors anywhere

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 1:23 PM
  • We error on the side of caution when it comes to updates via ADR, only security and critical are automated. However every now and then an update will come along that i want included and pushed out.

For example: KB2861855 does not have a severity so the ADR does not pick it up, but I want to deploy it so I download it then edit its membership to a group that does get replicated and deployed, in a few minutes I see that under deployed it says YES, the next day I come in and under Deployed it says NO.

Is it possible that when the ADR runs at night it removes it; should I create a group that gets replicated but has no ADR?

I am getting no errors anywhere

If you are downloading to the same package location, that is definitely what is happening. When the ADR is evaluated, all updates that do not match the rule are removed. You'll have to create a separate update package for the process you describe above.
    • Proposed as answer by Jeff Pollock Tuesday, February 4, 2014 1:58 PM
    Tuesday, February 4, 2014 1:36 PM
  • I have created an archived software update group so that the previous updates still get applied to the machines that dont get them in time or get reimaged. This will allow the ADR to do it job and allow you to still push the update with only touching the software update group once oppose to every time the ADR runs.
    Tuesday, February 4, 2014 1:41 PM
  • I do have 2 non ADR groups, I will edit membership to one of those and let you know what happens. Thanks for your reply.
    • Marked as answer by Bennie Chen Friday, February 7, 2014 2:48 AM
    Tuesday, February 4, 2014 2:16 PM
  • A correction to the above, updates are not removed from packages by ADRs; however, if an ADR reuses an existing software update group, then yes, the update group is effectively cleared of all updates when the ADR runs. Essentially, only updates that fulfill the ADR criteria will remain in the software update group after the ADR runs.

Software updates groups are completely different from update packages in name, functionality, and use.

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 5:00 PM
  • A correction to the above, updates are not removed from packages by ADRs; however, if an ADR reuses an existing software update group, then yes, the update group is effectively cleared of all updates when the ADR runs. Essentially, only updates that fulfill the ADR criteria will remain in the software update group after the ADR runs.

Software updates groups are completely different from update packages in name, functionality, and use.

Understood. They definitely aren't the same. I should have been more specific. In the case where you have two Package definitions pointing to the same source or within another package source, the last update wins.

While certainly not a common occurrence, I had a co-worker source an update package inside another and this was the result. It would work until the other ADR ran and effectively forced a package update which nullified the other packages content.
    Tuesday, February 4, 2014 5:44 PM
  • In the case where you have two Package definitions pointing to the same source or within another package source, the last update wins.

That would be terrible practice. Packages should all have their own unique source location.

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 11:46 PM
  • solved - this did the trick, thanks everyone!
    Wednesday, February 5, 2014 12:27 PM