none
Other projects and commitments not showing correct totals in resource usage in project Server 2010 RRS feed

  • Question

  • We are moving all our projects from a file based system to project server.
    We just open them and save the on ms project server replacing all resources with enterprise resources.

    Now when we look at the resource usage totals they seem to be incorrect.
    We can't see any consistancy. Sometimes we have 8 total hours a day, but no listing of those hours in the opened view "other projects and commitments".

    In the other case we have a total of zero hours and still have hours listed in the other commitments dropdown.

    How can this be explained?

    Friday, June 29, 2012 2:44 PM

Answers

  • I managed to solve the problem:

    We used the following method:

    - we looked at a resource usage total that was incorrect and opened the project from where the hours were missing.
    - we then first created a generic dummy resource and assigned all the resources tasks to that resource and published.
    - then we changed the tasks back to the original resource and published again.

    After this the totals were correct.

    I asume it is not correct to save a local file to the server and let ms project replace the local resources with enterprise resources.
    It is probably better to always use the build team dialog window.

    • Marked as answer by Plessers Bart Tuesday, July 3, 2012 9:17 AM
    Tuesday, July 3, 2012 9:17 AM

All replies

  • Some more info

    We are using MS Project Server 2010. We moved all of our existing projects from a file system to the server.

    We replaced all resources with enterprise resources.
    Now when we open  a project and go to the resource usage view a strange thing happens.

    Looking at the "other projects and assignments" row we have for exmple 5 times 8 kours of work from monday to friday.
    When clicking open the view to see on what project these hours are assigned, we can't find all data.
    On wednesday for example we don't have any hours listed on projects, but the total shows 8.

    Can anybody tell me what is going wrong?

    Sunday, July 1, 2012 8:51 PM
  • I managed to solve the problem:

    We used the following method:

    - we looked at a resource usage total that was incorrect and opened the project from where the hours were missing.
    - we then first created a generic dummy resource and assigned all the resources tasks to that resource and published.
    - then we changed the tasks back to the original resource and published again.

    After this the totals were correct.

    I asume it is not correct to save a local file to the server and let ms project replace the local resources with enterprise resources.
    It is probably better to always use the build team dialog window.

    • Marked as answer by Plessers Bart Tuesday, July 3, 2012 9:17 AM
    Tuesday, July 3, 2012 9:17 AM