none
(PS2013) Project Notes for High Level Updates Added to PDP? RRS feed

• Question

• This is most likely a very simple question, I just don't know what to use to accomplish my goal, any help is much appreciated.

I am currently having a problem with Project Server Project Details Pages.  Right now I have a field or web part (don't know which is better) I want to add to a PDP that is basically a generic "Project Notes" field.

The "Project Notes" field will be used by the Project Managers, Portfolio Managers, Team Members and Team leads to add a quick note on status changes for the project.  These are things that would not normally go on the schedule and may not always go into a task note (Plus Task notes are fairly limited as they only show the first 256 characters with out running a report).

I tried the following:  

I created a "Enterprise Custom Field" with multiple lines, which works fairly well, but it will only accept a max of 4000 characters which is about a page and a half of text.  Which is enough for some projects, but falls short on the larger projects.  So this didn't work.

I tried the "Note Board" web part which seemed like it would work perfectly, but I am noticing that when I add it to the PDP, it shows the notes for all the projects, not just the project I am currently on.  IE:  I add a note to the "Note Board" on Project 1.  When I go into Project 2, I see the notes that have been added to Project 1.  So this doesn't work, as having all the notes for all the projects is going to be a nightmare to figure out what belongs to what.  Is it supposed to work this way or are the notes on the "Note Board" supposed to be unique to each project?

I tried the "News Feed" web part that is on the Share Point Site linked to the project which should work fine, but the issue we have is that you now have to leave the Project site and go to the Share Point site in order to leave a note.  Is there a way to link the "News Feed" on the Share Point site to the Project so the "News Feed" can be edited and viewed on a Project Details Page?

I am open to pretty much anything, I just really want a place where people can put high level updates on a PDP where anyone can see and get a quick update.

(Just to note, we currently do this in Project Enterprise 2013 via the Project Notes but we send the status updates to the PM who then adds it to the Project Document.)

Friday, July 19, 2013 5:53 PM

All replies

• Gunnery188 --

Given the fact that everything you have tried is either too limited or is not working as intended, I would recommend that you create a Word document in the Documents library in the Project Site, and ask all contributors to add their notes in the Word document.  I realize that is not as direct as you would like it, but I really do not know any way around your problem.  Just a thought.  Hope this helps.

<p>Dale A. Howard [MVP<span>]</span><br/> </p>

Saturday, July 20, 2013 12:30 PM
  • Gunnery188,

Couple of other options that come to mind:

1) Use a Content Editor Webpart on the PDP. User should be able to add content by editing the webpart.

2) The other option, conceptually is this

a) Create a MAster SharePoint List.

b) Associate the Project Uid with the SharePoint list Items using External Content Types

c) Display the list on a PDP, using Content Query Filter.

MVP Andrew Lavinsky has couple of very good examples of this technique (in 2010).

http://azlav.umtblog.com/2011/03/16/capturing-the-project-narrative-with-project-server-2010/

http://azlav.umtblog.com/2011/04/05/creating-a-centralized-document-repository-with-external-content-types/

I have not tried this for 2013, but I think they will work. Will try to do a blog post sometime on this.

Check these links out: 

Prasanna Adavi,PMP,MCTS,MCITP,MCT http://thinkepm.blogspot.com

Monday, July 22, 2013 3:50 AM
  • Prasanna Adavi -

Thank you very much for pointing me in the right direction.  This fix, works well enough, I will have to spend a little time tweaking the look and what is displayed, but other than that, its very nice so far.

Thank you once again!

Monday, July 22, 2013 9:08 PM