Deleted a Public folder, then recovered from PFDAVAdmin, however issue with distribution groups RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I accidentally deleted a public folder, and had to restore it using PFDAVAdmin as outlook 2003 recover deleted items was throwing an error.

The public folder in question is now recovered, however when I browse the main distribution group  in Exchange 2007  that was linked to the public folder i deleted the public folder entry is no longer there (under Member of)

I then added the public folder entry back to two find two of the same named public folders in the address book (i guess one is the deleted public folder, and the other is the RECOVERED public folder that I renamed)

My questions are.

1. why is there an entry for the deleted mail enabled public in the global address book?

1a. Is this entry recoverable?

2. How can i list all distribution groups that were previously linked to the deleted public folder (the Member of entry would be deleted also) so I can link the recovered public folder to it?

3. Is there anything else i need to consider could be broken because of deleting the public folder (doh!)

thanks

Friday, November 7, 2014 12:25 PM

Answers

• You recovered the physical public folder, but the public folder information in the directory is still missing.  Remember, this is separate information, and PFDAVAdmin won't recover it.  I'll try to give answers for your questions, but it's been a really long time since I worked with Exchange 2003.

1.  When you deleted the public folder, you didn't mail disable it beforehand.  So you have an orphaned entry in your directory

1a.  I doubt it seriously - that is an ancient version, and before we had the "cool tools" for working with the system that we have today

2.  You can try checking for any distribution group that has that deleted entry as a member, but I don't know an easy way to do that (you can't use PowerShell, unfortunately) - maybe you can find it using ADSIEdit?

3.  Personal links to the folder are going to be broken, as will links in other systems (if any).  Can't think of anything else right off, but it's been years since I had to worry about public folders.

• Proposed as answer by Belinda Ma Monday, November 10, 2014 6:51 AM
    • Marked as answer by Belinda Ma Wednesday, November 19, 2014 12:52 AM
    Friday, November 7, 2014 3:25 PM