Outlook 2019 AutoArchive Scheduler does not work RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,

We have Outlook 2019 setup on a VM that is only used to connect to a POP3 server to gather incoming e-mails.  No Exchange involved.  It has 7 mailboxes configured.

AutoArchive is configured to purge mail that is older than 2 weeks.  There is no actual archiving going on, just purging.  This is configured to run every day.  (See attached pic for setup)

The problem I'm seeing is that it never actually runs in the day.  Since there is no obvious way to see when the scheduled AutoArchive runs, I'm using some VB script to pull the info from the registry that I got from http://www.msoutlook.info/question/856.  What I've noticed is that the time that's presented will pass, the event never gets triggered (nothing gets purged), and the timer never resets for the next day.  The VB script will show the next time it will run will be in the past.

I am able to run the AutoArchive manually by going into File / Mailbox Settings Tools / Clean up Old Items... / Archive all folders according to their AutoArchive Settings.  I then see that things are purged PLUS when I run the VB script, I see the counter is then updated for the future.  Unfortunately, the next day, the event will again pass and still no AutoArchive.

This is a new install with hardly anything else on this Server 2019.

Please advise.

Thanks!

Thursday, September 12, 2019 4:17 PM

Answers

• The work around I've done is setup a scheduled PS script that will close Outlook, wait a few seconds, then start it back up every day.  Auto Archive seems to be functioning as expected with this task.

• Marked as answer by B-F Monday, September 30, 2019 4:26 PM
    Monday, September 30, 2019 4:26 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Do you mean Outlook will not automatically delete the messgaes older than 2 weeks everyday? You can still see the messages older than 2 weeks in your mailbox.

>> The problem I'm seeing is that it never actually runs in the day.

AutoArchive doesn’t work on one specific folder or all folders?

>> This is a new install with hardly anything else on this Server 2019.

Is this a problem since installation? Did the AutoAchive feature work normally before? If this si a issue since installation, then please try repairing your Office installation. If ther issue persists, you can also try uninstall and reinstall your Office and see if there is any difference.

Besides, if you'd like to know when the AutoArchive will work, please check the box of "Prompt before AutoArchive runs" in the window shown in your picture.

There is also a thread for your reference: What to do when Outlook AutoArchive doesn’t work.

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards, 

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 13, 2019 7:26 AM
  • >>Do you mean Outlook will not automatically delete the messgaes older than 2 weeks >>everyday? You can still see the messages older than 2 weeks in your mailbox.

>>AutoArchive doesn’t work on one specific folder or all folders?

Yes that is correct.

>>Is this a problem since installation?

AFAIK, yes.  It was sometime after configuring that we didn't pay that close attention to until much later.  We observed that the volume that the .PST's for the mailboxes were filling up the whole volume!

>>Did the AutoAchive feature work normally before?

I don't believe it ever worked.

>>If this si a issue since installation, then please try repairing your Office installation. If ther issue >>persists, you can also try uninstall and reinstall your Office and see if there is any difference.

I can give it a try.

>>Besides, if you'd like to know when the AutoArchive will work, please check the box of "Prompt >>before AutoArchive runs" in the window shown in your picture.

This is a VM that is shared among several people for systematic e-mailing.  It's not logged into much unless we need to recall some e-mail data.  I never checked that box because of that fact.

On the old VM with old Outlook 2010 (I think it was), this was not an issue.

Thanks...

Friday, September 13, 2019 12:52 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your updates.

So have you tried repairing your Office installation or reinstalling your Office?

If there is any updates, please feel free to post back. 

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 16, 2019 6:44 AM
  • I checked "Prompt before AutoArchive runs" as advised and also ran a Office repair.  This morning I ran the NextAutoArchiveTime script and this is what I see:

Today is 9/16.  So no go.  I'm about ready to downgrade to a version of Outlook that works.

Thanks

Monday, September 16, 2019 1:18 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your updates.

It seems that there are something wrong with your Office installation, so it is suggested to reinstall your Office installation.

If the issue continues, then please clear the registry value of Outlook.

1. Close your Outlook client.
    2. Press Win + R to open Run, type "regedit" and press Enter.
    3. Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\X.0\Outlook
    4. Rename the "Outlook" folder to "Outlook-1"
    5. Restart your Outlook and see if there is any difference.

(Important: Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Before you modify it, back up the registry for restoration in case problems occur. )

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 7:22 AM
  • I may have stumbled on something.  Testing on another fresh VM...

Wednesday, September 18, 2019 10:00 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your updates.

Do you mean that you have found something that might cause this problem? If there is any update, please feel free to post back.

Besides, please try my suggestions above and see if there is any difference.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Thursday, September 19, 2019 8:25 AM
  • I believe I have found a bug.

I've spun up a fresh server 2019 image, installed a fresh copy of Outlook 2019.  Setup one POP mailbox and for testing brought over a copy of the PST from the production box that had lots of e-mails.  Setup autoarchive the same as the production.

What I have found is that the built in autoarchive only gets triggered once per session.  Meaning that it will only run once if Outlook stays open.  If Outlook is open for days, it never is triggered again UNLESS Outlook is close, and re-opened.  However, even then it isn't apparent to be working right away.  If the trigger time/date has passed and Outlook is opened, in my testing it will actually kick in between 2-4 mins from the time it was launched.  That is why I never seen it happen because I guess I didn't wait long enough to observe it.

I have confirmed this behavior on the production VM as well on the fresh test install VM.

Guess I'll need to downgrade since this is an essential component that must work with an always open Outlook on this VM.

Thanks

(Update)
    Just tried with Outlook 2016 and it has the same issue.

Outlook 2013 works just fine.

Both 2016 and 2013 were tested on a fresh install and fresh 2019 Server VM.

• Edited by B-F Thursday, September 19, 2019 7:20 PM
    Thursday, September 19, 2019 3:36 PM
  • Hi B-F,

Currently, I haven’t found official articles which reports this. This could also be a issue related to the VM.

I’ll keep tracking on this issue and post back once I find anything.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Friday, September 20, 2019 8:46 AM
  • Are there any plans to fix this?  Appears it's been a problem for quite some time (since Outlook 2016).

Thanks

Friday, September 20, 2019 2:10 PM
  • Hi B-F,

Sorry for the late reply, because I was testing in my environment. According to my test, you're right, the AutoArchive will not work unless you close and open your Outlook. This make a bad user experience. 

I’m going to help you submit this issue internally. Besides, it is also encouraged to share your feedback via the Outlook UserVoice forum.

Thanks for your understanding and patience.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Wednesday, September 25, 2019 8:51 AM
  • Hi B-F,

I'm writing to see if the reply above is helpful to you. If yes, would you mind helping mark the reply as answer? So that others who might have a similar question can benefit from your thread? Thanks for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Friday, September 27, 2019 7:22 AM
  • The work around I've done is setup a scheduled PS script that will close Outlook, wait a few seconds, then start it back up every day.  Auto Archive seems to be functioning as expected with this task.

• Marked as answer by B-F Monday, September 30, 2019 4:26 PM
    Monday, September 30, 2019 4:26 PM