none
Backing data up reliably RRS feed

• Question

• Any body knows of any good solution for backing data up quickly, and then ofcourse restoring it quickly? I don't mind learning a bit to have a working solution
    Friday, February 7, 2014 11:46 AM

All replies

• Hello TerenceHoward,

it is about your data, Disk and network type. I used DPM (Data Protection Manager from Microsoft) it can take file backups and snapshots from virtual machines. You can try it.

Regards.

MCT | Symantec Trusted Advisor

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 9:09 AM
  • If you want quick and reliable, have to go with backing up to disk, now this may not be the cheapest way to go but it is by far the  quickest and most reliable. There are a lot of options out there, we just setup Dell's AppAssure in my data center and we can back up about 6TB of data in 3-4 hours where it used to take 50+ hours, we are also able to replicate the data between our Montreal office.

Gartner did a study in 2010 and found that 50% of all restores from tape fail.

Check out AppAssure, Unitrends, EMC Data Domain.

Sunday, February 16, 2014 7:12 AM
  • The easiest solution will be the Backup solution of windows. You don't have to install anything else but start the process.

On the other hand you may try some other vendors' solutions. I use Acronis true image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/trueimage/index.html) but there a bunch of others: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_backup_software

Sunday, February 16, 2014 10:14 PM
  • kindly use Window Backup Utility, it is fast to back and restore also.

Regards, Damodar

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 11:04 AM
  • Use a Robocopy script. It copies files individually and makes a real copy of your hard drive(s). I use the following to do my backups.

ROBOCOPY C:\ E:\CDrive /MIR /ZB /R:1 /W:3

The syntax being ROBOCOPY [source] [destination] [/MIR] [/ZB] [/R:1] [/W:3]

This will make a full copy of your C: drive and copy it to E:\CDrive using Backup mode, it will retry once after an error, and wait 3 seconds after an error. It copies all attributes, such as owner, permissions, and whether the folder was shared or not.

Thanks

Ed

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 6:22 PM