SCVMM upgradation RRS feed

• Question

• Team,

We want to do poc with one of the customer for upgrading scvmm 2012 r2 to scvmm 2016 r2 and hyper-v host machine upgradation also from 2012 r2 to 2016 r2. Requesting to please share the url and architecture , features  in details about scvmm 2016 r2. Step by step guide for upgradation and all pre requisites need to care about before performing activity.

Thursday, March 2, 2017 8:27 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Raritan,
    Please check the following articles:
    Upgrade to System Center 2016 - VMM:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/system-center-docs/vmm/deploy/deploy-upgrade

What's new in VMM in System Center 2016
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/system-center-docs/vmm/get-started/get-started-whats-new

Regards,
    -Tomi

Tomi Pietilä

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Blog
    Twitter
    LinkedIn

Thursday, March 2, 2017 1:00 PM
  • Hello Raritan,

SCVMM2016 supports using the rolling upgrade feature to upgrade Hyper-V Cluster from Windows Server 2012 R2 to Windows Server 2016 without stopping Hyper-V workloads running on the nodes. You can upgrade an entire cluster, or specific cluster nodes.

Please see the following article for more details.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/system-center-docs/vmm/manage/manage-compute-rolling-upgrade-hyper-v

Best regards,
    Andy Liu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 3, 2017 2:00 AM
  • Hello Raritan,

Is the information helpful to you?

Best regards,

Andy Liu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 16, 2017 9:05 AM
  • Hi Tomi,

Can you pleae help me the article which will help to create new setup for hyper-v 2016 in cluster and scvmm 2016, adding host, creating vms, adding storage, and features of scvmm 2016 and benefits, comparision with Vmware.

Note:- Its new project which is landing in my bucket and have to demonstrate to customer and compare with vmware and value add to the customer buisness.

Monday, March 20, 2017 10:31 AM
  • Hi,

sure Raritan. Please check the following articles:
    Plan VMM installation
    Step-by-step guide to install VMM 2016
    Set up the VMM networking fabric
    Set up the VMM storage fabric
    Manage Hyper-V hosts and clusters in the VMM compute fabric
    Manage virtual machines in the VMM fabric

Comparing two different product is not so easy (vmware vs Hyper-v/vmm), but take a look of this article.
    Microsoft Hyper-V 2016 vs. VMware vSphere 6.5

regards,
    -Tomi

Tomi Pietilä

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Blog
    Twitter
    LinkedIn

• Marked as answer by Raritan Thursday, March 23, 2017 1:12 PM
    Monday, March 20, 2017 11:31 AM
  • Dear Tomi,

My customer has scvmm 2012 r2 and two physical host which is hosting multiple vms. Now my customer want to upgrade to scvmm 2016. Before starting further POA.

I want to know what will be the pre requisites if we directly do the upgradation on existing setup.

What will be the risk factor and roll back plan in case of failure.

Please help me with the step by step guide for upgradation from scvmm 2012 r2 to scvmm 2016.

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 8:01 AM
  • Dear team,

My customer has scvmm 2012 r2 and two physical host which is hosting multiple vms. Now my customer want to upgrade to scvmm 2016. Before starting further POA.

I want to know what will be the pre requisites if we directly do the upgradation on existing setup.

What will be the risk factor and roll back plan in case of failure.

Please help me with the step by step guide for upgradation from scvmm 2012 r2 to scvmm 2016.

Friday, April 14, 2017 2:49 PM