Baselining a Summary task Vs Project Baselining RRS feed

• Question

•  

HI There,

We are having situation in which, project has be based lined multiple times in fact project baseline has to be updated multiple times. 

For example, there are following phases in project  i.e. Requirements gathering phase, Design phase, dev phase , QA phase etc. For Design phase summary task, we saved the baseline dates, what would be better option for this. Do we need to check 'roll up to all summary tasks?   (Remember this would be baseline for a phase not for a project.  Base lining for dev and QA phases will be done after that. 

So my question is that do I need to use ' 'roll up to all summary tasks'..?? if I will use this option, Project Baseline will be updated every time and would be giving wrong info at any stage unless all phases are baseline.

Regards

R A A

Friday, December 14, 2012 10:12 AM

All replies

• ARaja --

From your description, I believe you are describing what I would call a Rolling Baseline where you baseline your project in waves.  In our Ultimate Study Guide: Foundations, Microsoft Project 2010 book, we describe the need for a Rolling Baseline and how to implement it.  Following is a quote from our book:

Consider the following example:
    • Your project consists of three consecutive phases, named Phase I, Phase II, and Phase III.
    • You must completely plan the tasks in Phase I, but do only �??skeleton planning�?� for the tasks in Phase II and Phase III.
    • You must baseline the Phase I tasks and then begin the execution of the Phase I tasks.
    • As the work progresses in Phase I, you do the detailed planning for the tasks in Phase II and then baseline only those tasks.
    • As the work begins in Phase II, you do the detailed planning for tasks in Phase III and then baseline only those tasks.
    The preceding description characterizes the need for saving a �??rolling baseline�?� to capture the baseline information in a series of rolling waves. The �??rolling baseline�?� captures the original values in Phase I, then later appends the baseline information from Phase II, and finally appends the baseline information from Phase III as well. To save a �??rolling baseline�?� for each set of selected tasks in a project, complete the following steps:
    1. Select the tasks you are ready to baseline.
    2. In the Schedule section of the Project ribbon, click the Set Baseline pick list button and select the Set Baseline item on the list.
    3. Select the Set Baseline option.
    4. Leave the Baseline item selected in the Set Baseline pick list.
    5. In the For: section, choose the Selected Tasks option.
    6. In the Roll Up Baselines section, select the To all summary tasks option.
    7. Click the Set as Default button.
    8. Click the OK button.
    9. When you baseline the Phase II and Phase III tasks, click the Yes button in the warning dialog about overwriting the baseline.
    Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Friday, December 14, 2012 1:25 PM
  • Hi, R A A. An important prerequisite when working with baselines is a clear expectation of how your organisation intends to use baseline information. i.e. what are you trying to achieve? That will help you to design the answers to your questions.

For the sake of argument, let's say that you want to record and manage to the agreed schedule for a phase at a time. In that case, at the time of agreeing the schedule for that phase you would select the tasks for the phase and the summary task for that phase - and snap baseline for selected tasks with rollup to selected summary tasks only. As you track progress on phase tasks you would be interested only in the variances up as far as the phase summary - not to the project level.  
    If your change management process results in an agreed change to tasks for that phase, you would highlight the changing tasks (including ones that are zeroed out if the work is no longer required) and the phase summary task - and again select these tasks and rollup to selected summary tasks for baselining.

As you will realise, using baselines in this way does not give useful baseline information at the project level. This is where your written procedure for baseline tracking applies. When should the project be baselined?

Friday, December 14, 2012 1:38 PM
  • Another methodology is (using Dale's example) once the tasks for Phase 1 have been scheduled and some very high level tasks for Phase 2 and 3, then set Basline1.

By the end of Phase 1, Phase 2 should be fully scheduled so set baseline 2.

By the end of Phase 2, Phase 3 should be fully scheduled so set Baseline 3.

In Project 2010+ it's easy to change the Baseline bars displayed (via Format, Baseline) for reviewing progress.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book

Rod Gill Project Management

Saturday, December 15, 2012 9:15 PM
  • Thank you all for your replies. But do setting up baseline this way be a good thing? Because until all three phases (from Dale’s example) are fully baseline, baseline of a project (in rolling up to all summary task option) would be giving wrong impression.

R A A

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 10:47 AM
  • ARaja --

The alternative would be to completely plan your project before you save a baseline.  Otherwise, there is no perfect solution for how to baseline a partially planned project.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 1:29 PM