CAS and Primary first replication won’t complete (primary site in read-only) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Here the setup :

Server 1

-        SQL 2K8R2 with SP1 and CU6

-        2 instances running on separate partitions

-        1 port for each instances (4022, 4023)

Server 2

-        CAS

-        Using instance associated with port 4023

Server 3

-        Primary

-        Using instance associated with port 4022

On the CAS, there are no specific errors in the status of the server except the following

-        Low space on the SQL server for the database.

On the SQL server the database points to G:\data01\... SCCM detect low space because G:\ serve as the host of mount points

G:\-> 1GB

Data01 -> 20GB

Logs01->10GB

Backup->10GB

Data01,Logs01 and Backup are mount points (partition with no assigned letter. This is to respect the installation standard of my client. (Hope this is clear :S)

I not sure if SCCM could prevent operation if low disk space is reported for the database server as SCCM monitor the space on G:\ and doesn’t see mount points space

Both databases were created successfully. I verified ports with netstat and each port communicate only with the instance associated.

I completed the installation 3 days ago, but my primary site is still running the initial replication as the primary is still in Read-only mode and the CAS state Initializing data between the parent and child site under Database Replication.

I’ve looked at the rcmctrl.log on both servers. No errors but some strange messages that could identify the problem.

In the rcmctrl.log on the CAS I have the following message that is kind of strange

Publisher DOM(site code) is not Active, so not requesting site data this time.

In the rcmctrl.log on the Primary (DOM) I have the following message

Site is NOT active, so not calling the DRSActivation procedures.

Both site are created in Active Directory

I’ve looked around in other logs with no luck.

Thanks for any help

Monday, June 11, 2012 2:32 PM

Answers

All replies

• What ports are you talking about exactly? The SQL service usually listens on 1433 and the SQL Service Broker on 4022.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Monday, June 11, 2012 3:09 PM
  • The available space for SQL seems very small. How many users are you planning to support?

Some things to check:

1. Check sender.log on the CAS to see if any BCP files have been sent to the primary.

2. Check despooler.log on the Primary to see if any files have been recieved and successfully decrypted

3. Verify rcmctrl.log on the Primary to see if there have been any errors processing the BCP

4. On the databases for both CAS and Primary run 'select * from vlogs' and see if any SQL errors are present or any specific issues with BCP.

Monday, June 11, 2012 5:50 PM
  • Hi Torsten,

your comment brought some question up on how I did the settup... I clearly misunderstood the difference and needs for each ports.

I decided to remove SCCM and start fresh with a better understanding of ports related to remote database Role...

for reference, this blog post was pretty helpful :

http://systemcenterforefront.blogspot.ca/2012/03/sccm-2012-setup-on-dedicated-sql-2008.html

Monday, June 11, 2012 6:04 PM
  • thanks to the announcment in SP1, we got rid of the CAS for good :)
    Wednesday, June 13, 2012 2:40 PM