none
How Do I perform Hyper-V 2k12R2 host level backups without crashing a cluster RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

I've been fighting for a long time (almost 6 years in multiple clients) with no luck to perform host level backups using SCDPM and a Hyper-V cluster without crashing everything. I've already opened a thread on this forum that can be reach at https://goo.gl/qgz435

I've already tried multiple alternatives (hardware snapshots, softwares snapshots, serial backups, backup vms on the same CSV, and so on) ... In the end I always have a broken Hyper-V cluster no matter what I do ... some vm's don't start correctly, other vms loose configuration, others won't boot at all (no os found) ... a lot of time spent in support calls and last but not least a lot of client's criticisms about DPM (even the latest version 2k12R2 with UR 9) not being able to perform such a simple thing like a host level backup of a three win2k12 r2 cluster completely patched and using the best practices (management network, vm network and so son, iscs network, and so on)

I am really curious if someone is succeeding to perform this kind of thing without a crash and without a single event on the cluster manager, when I say crash I mean terrible things like vms that were booting not recognizing the c: drive anymore, vms that I need to delete snapshots because they can't start at all ... and so on.

My last attempt to perform a host level backup finished with:
    1069 - error code 0x2 (system could not find the specified file)
    5142 - The cluster shared volume could not be accessed by this node due to error 1460
    1146 - the cluster RHS was finished and will be restarted
    and so on

Could someone share some experience?

Thank you very much!
    --marcos

Thursday, July 7, 2016 3:14 AM