Take Ownership of Drive RRS feed

• Question

• I was asked this question at Microsoft Answers and was told to come here, I know I am using an outdated OS but could you look at the question and see if you could help?  Thanks

Okay here is the problem, we are running Windows 2000 Professional as our OS for our backup server. We currently are using a External drive to backup our data to, well we have upgraded from USB version 1 to 2. So we bought a USB 2.0 expansion card, now when we unplug from the version 1.0 port that is on the server into the Expansion card, the drive will show up in windows, but windows reports it as an unknown drive. And I could not add myself to the security tab because none exists, and neither could I do so to the sharing tab. So I hooked rehooked the drive back to the way it was, and then I was able to add the local administrator to the sharing tab and permission tab with full control. Both NTFS and the sharing tab full control. I ejected the drive and then plugged it in 2.0 port, then I logged off the network, and then logged on as Local Admin. Again I was able to see the drive I could open the contents of the drive but nothing showed before I could not even do that. So I added myself under network credentials giving myself full control to that drive. I then left the drive in the 2.0 port, logged on as Network Admin; I can see the drive but could not see any of the data in the drive and I could only see the permissions tab and not the security tab. I have followed the Microsoft KB article for taking ownership of a drive, but I do not see in the view tab “Disable simple file sharing” I have a feeling I am missing something here, what is it?

• Edited by CompSol123 Thursday, December 22, 2011 7:00 PM Fixed Typing error
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 6:16 PM

Answers

• Hi,

As the USB Software Update is not developed by Microsoft, we has no information regarding it.

Please continue contacting your software and hardware vendor for further troubleshooting information.

Thanks for your understanding!

Regards,

Arthur Li

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by CompSol123 Tuesday, January 3, 2012 1:26 PM
    Tuesday, January 3, 2012 5:52 AM
  • Thanks for the help, but we upgraded to XP and we are going to get a new card and upgrade the drivers for the Server.  So that should fix the problem, again thank you for your help.

Tuesday, January 3, 2012 1:26 PM

All replies

• Apply the SP4, check this KB319973 article.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319973

It is an absolute product, try to migrate to newer version windows.

To backup the data to external drive. You can use any XP machine connecting external drive copy the data through network sharing.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/301281

Thanks

Thursday, December 22, 2011 7:53 PM
  • Thanks I will look at that and let you know what I find.

Thursday, December 22, 2011 8:19 PM
  • Hi,

Please contact the removable hard disk vendor to confirm if it is compatible with Windows Server 2000.

In addition, you may perform the following steps to take ownership of the drive and change the permissions.

Take ownership of the drive and change the permissions

=========================================

1. In the "Start" menu, locate "Command Prompt". Right-click and choose "Run as Administrator". If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

2. Type the following commands, then press "Enter" to execute them one by one. Please note the space before the command and its parameter.

takeown /f {drive letter}

cacls { drive letter } /G administrators:F

3.   Restart the computer to check the issue.

Regards,

Arthur Li

Monday, December 26, 2011 5:29 AM
  • Okay as far as the USB Software update, I downloaded the drivers but after I extracted them, and used the new hardware wizard to install them it told me the software contains no information with what you are trying to install. So another words that is the wrong type driver? The system is a Dell Power Edge 2600, so I went to the dell website and looked for anything that would help me, but I did not really find anything. So do you have any more ideas?

And then with the running the Takeown CMD. I downloaded the tool from the resource kit, and I tried to run it, even using the Run As CMD as Administrator and it would not let me run it. It said I needed to login as Administrator and so I logged on locally as Admin thinking that would help rather then network Admin and that did not help.

I can easily upgrade this system to Win XP Pro but the thing that keeps me from doing so is when I do change over I will have to reapply all the permissions on that drive because the SID and ACL would have all changed right? Then the only thing that would require there is time, but I just might do that do you think that would help me with this problem?

Friday, December 30, 2011 4:26 PM
  • Hi,

As the USB Software Update is not developed by Microsoft, we has no information regarding it.

Please continue contacting your software and hardware vendor for further troubleshooting information.

Thanks for your understanding!

Regards,

Arthur Li

Tuesday, January 3, 2012 5:52 AM
  • Thanks for the help, but we upgraded to XP and we are going to get a new card and upgrade the drivers for the Server.  So that should fix the problem, again thank you for your help.

Tuesday, January 3, 2012 1:26 PM