Lock screen flickering RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I upgraded to windows 10 and all went well, my applications worked ok and none of my documents were lost.  When I got home, I wanted to check for updates to leave the computer working for it to be ready for the next day.

That's when my problems began because I was not able to log in or reach the lock screen.  The screen would flicker with a light blue background and the loading animation would go halfway, black screen, and then light blue with icon again.  This would happen about 3 or 4 times per second and I was not able to do anything but long press the power button to turn it off.

It turned out to be an incompatibility with my fingerprint sensor.  On windows 7 I used to log in with my fingerprint because, well, it's faster than typing a horrible password I can't even spell and remember it only with my hands on the keyboard.

I used a bootable disk with windows 8 to be able to reach the command prompt and typed

BCDEDIT /SET {DEFAULT} BOOTMENUPOLICY LEGACY

To enable safe mode (using this instructions: http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2569556/safe-mode-windows.html - when you are done, go back to command prompt and type BCDEDIT /SET {DEFAULT} BOOTMENUPOLICY DEFAULT as it is a much faster boot)

In safe mode, no fingerprint option, so I could log in with no problems.

Once in safe mode, I renamed the folder where my fingerprint drivers were originally.  In My case I renamed C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell\Dell Data Protection\Access\Drivers\UPEK TouchChip Fingerprint Reader into C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell\Dell Data Protection\Access\Drivers\UPEK TouchChip Fingerprint Reader.OLD

With this, the flicker was gone and I could log in with my account.  It still says no fingerprint hardware can be found but I don't really care as long as I can work.

Then I decided to "upgrade" my user account into a live.com account... the nightmare began again.  You see... when you enable your users to log in with either biometrics or password, the lock screen does not show the list of users for you to click and type the password, you have to either swipe your finger on the reader or type in the user name AND password...

When I changed my account into a live.com account and typed "Alejandro" for my user name it said it did not match... I tried with my email address as a user name and nothing... I tried all sort of combinations - even my full name - and still nothing but if I went to safe mode or the command prompt - no biometrics - it showed my full name as a user and just asked me for my password.

I tried using gpedit.msc (and some other command I forgot) to disable biometrics but I was not able to do so... I decided to just create another user and remove the user linked with a live.com account and that's where I am right now...

I just wanted to share this in case anyone else is stuck in the same loophole I was.  If anyone knows how to disable biometric log in so my lock screen does not ask me to type a username, I would appreciate the info.

Friday, August 14, 2015 6:04 PM

Answers