none
how to disable users from installing and... RRS feed

• Question

• I don't want users to be able to install software on the computer.
    I can't seem to find the feature to disable that.

Also, I don't want USERS to be able to mess with anything in the hard drive EXCEPT their own USER "documents and settings".
    Is there a way to be able to choose what folders on the hard drive the users are able to go into freely?

I would like to be able to do these things without partitioning the hard drive.
    Thank You in advance.
    Wednesday, October 7, 2009 3:56 AM

Answers

• Hi yMeMoo, you can try Windows Disk Protection to prevent installing programs/deleting/modifying files in system partition on the computer.

Protecting the Hard Disk

Windows Disk Protection is designed to help protect system settings and data on the partition on which Windows XP is installed from being permanently changed.

The activities performed by a user during a session cause many changes to the operating system partition. Program files are created, modified, and deleted. The operating system also updates system information as part of its normal functionality. On a shared computer, however, the goal is to create an environment of uniformity for all users. Each user who logs on should experience the same environment as all other users, and no user should be able to modify or corrupt the system. Windows Disk Protection clears all changes to the operating system partition at whatever specified interval you set.

If you choose to turn on Windows Disk Protection, you can select the disk protection level that determines when and if Windows Disk Protection clears changes to the protected system drive.

This section covers:

§  Turning off, installing, and turning on Windows Disk Protection

§  Attributes and configuration of the Windows Disk Protection cache file

§  Choosing the level of disk protection you want on the shared computer

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 5:53 AM

All replies

• Hey there I am totally green to Windows Steady State, but what I have read suggests that two partitions are required the defalt C:\ for windows and a second partition ?:\ to keep the user files.

You could try using group policy settings to lock down the system and remove icons from the desktop using the display properties my computer my documents etc and then disable this from being altered.  Hide things such as my network places in the My Computer and the Control panel or applets, hide a hard drive letter etc...

I was just reading a few posts trying to fathom which issues i may run into based on other peoples experience's, others have used a program called freeze or deep freeze, one of these reorted it as this app being quite slow...and no I dont think its related to cooling (lol).  I really dont know much about this or steady state but I would start here do a bit of research see what apps are right for you.

Good luck in your search guy. 
    Wednesday, October 7, 2009 8:31 PM
  • Hi yMeMoo, you can try Windows Disk Protection to prevent installing programs/deleting/modifying files in system partition on the computer.

Protecting the Hard Disk

Windows Disk Protection is designed to help protect system settings and data on the partition on which Windows XP is installed from being permanently changed.

The activities performed by a user during a session cause many changes to the operating system partition. Program files are created, modified, and deleted. The operating system also updates system information as part of its normal functionality. On a shared computer, however, the goal is to create an environment of uniformity for all users. Each user who logs on should experience the same environment as all other users, and no user should be able to modify or corrupt the system. Windows Disk Protection clears all changes to the operating system partition at whatever specified interval you set.

If you choose to turn on Windows Disk Protection, you can select the disk protection level that determines when and if Windows Disk Protection clears changes to the protected system drive.

This section covers:

§  Turning off, installing, and turning on Windows Disk Protection

§  Attributes and configuration of the Windows Disk Protection cache file

§  Choosing the level of disk protection you want on the shared computer

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 5:53 AM