email document to document library and check out item RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

By function when you enable "require documents to be checked out before they can be edited" in a sharepoint library that has mandatory metadata the obvious effect is that any document that gets uploaded to the library without specifying the metadata gets checked out.

Now if I email enabled the library and send an email to that library should the sent items received by the library not be checked out? I have tried sending emails with attachments to this library and they all get checked in without any mandatory metadata which violates the check in check out rule. Please is there an explanation for this? I wonder why there is not sufficient documentation on this topic. 

Many thanks,

Dominic

Tuesday, June 12, 2018 6:18 PM

All replies

• Hi Dominic,

How did you upload the document in document library?

If you upload the document through “Upload” button, it will prompt you to provide the metadata.

If you drag and drop files directly into your browser, the file will upload, but it won’t hit you up for metadata selections.

For more detailed information, refer to the article below.

The basics of SharePoint check in and check out.

http://icansharepoint.com/the-basics-of-sharepoint-check-in-and-check-out/

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, June 13, 2018 8:59 AM
  • Hi Dominic,

How is everything going?

Is there anything update about this issue?

If the reply is helpful to you, you could mark the reply as answer. Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, June 18, 2018 1:18 AM
  • Hi Dominic,

I am checking to see how things are going there on this issue. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

If the issue was resolved, you can mark the helpful post as answer to help other community members find the helpful information quickly.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Monday, June 25, 2018 1:40 AM
  • Hi Sara,

Extremely sorry for not responding till now. I am fully aware of the use of the upload function for a document library and the effect of dragging a document into a document library (it will check it out because of no metadata).

My point is this.You can email enable a document library.I have done this. I have then sent an email (that has a .docx document attached) to the document library and made it such that only the attachments get saved to the library.My question is why does the document being saved not get checked out as the document doesn't have metadata. This contradicts the check in check out rule.

Thanks,

Dominic

Monday, March 4, 2019 7:23 PM