Checked Out documents, local folder? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello -

When a user checks out a document, where is the local copy getting saved?   I assumed it was the
    C:\Users\<username>\Documents\SharePoint Drafts\ folder, but we have users stating that they are unable to find their local copies anywhere on their PCs.   The default open behavior for the library is set to use the server default (open in the browser).   Would that prevent local copies from getting created?   Our environment is SP 2013 on-prem and Office 365. 

Thursday, March 21, 2019 5:29 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Check out the file will not create a copy. By checking out a file, a user can prevent others from editing that file. If user wants to make changes to a file on a site and he wants to make sure no one else can edit it, check out the file.

Information about checking out/in:

Check out, check in, or discard changes to files in a library

Top questions about check out, check in, and versions

Best regards,

Linda

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Friday, March 22, 2019 8:57 AM
  • Hello Linda -

Thanks for the info.  This specific user had a document checked out.  He would make edits to the document and save it without checking it in.   User did this several times a week.    A few days ago, instead of saving he discarded checkout by mistake and lost all of his changes.   I am trying to find out if I could help recover his changes, but I don't think this will be possible.  We checked Recent Documents and autoRecovered docs, but no luck.  

thanks

Friday, March 22, 2019 12:19 PM
  • Hi,

No, there is no method to undo the Discard Check Out. The change is not stored in the version history until you check it in. You may need to make changes back manually.

Best regards,

Linda

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Tuesday, March 26, 2019 2:33 AM