Sharepoint and Office Document (.docx & .xlsx) Issues RRS feed

• Question

• At the beginning of the day or even after a fresh restart throughout the day, everything works fine, quickly, and efficiently. I use multiple application on my computer but have found no common connection between the issue itself and what I do throughout the day.

In the afternoon, however, when I try to access a .docx or .xlsx document from within our Sharepoint site, IE locks up and the document will not open, at the same times as this occurs, I am able to recreate the identical problem from within Firefox which leads me to believe it isn't necessarily browser related. I recently found a workaround albeit annoying: Once IE locks up, I can navigate to www.google.com (or any website) via Windows browser which opens up a new tab within IE and unlocks the window, but the Sharepoint tab remains locked up. Once I do this, after around 30 seconds to a minute, the document opens up and everything is back to normal. Prior to this workaround, I had to restart the PC to get it to work again.

Is there a known issue with Sharepoint 2010 calling Office 2010 documents? Is there a registry key causing this lockup? Everyone else here operates the same software and versions of each with no issues.

Monday, May 7, 2012 1:49 PM

Answers

• Hi Notcho,

Please try the following methods to narrow down the root cause:

Max Meng

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Jaynet Zhang Thursday, May 17, 2012 8:36 AM
    Friday, May 11, 2012 2:52 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Check whether there are any other user use the different version to open the documents.

When a user opens Word 2010 or PowerPoint 2010 document with Word or PowerPoint 2007, SharePoint 2010 creates a lock on the document and prevents other users of Microsoft Office 2010 from using co-authoring to edit that document. To take best advantage of co-authoring in Office Word or Office PowerPoint, it is recommended that all users work with Microsoft Office 2010. This situation also applies to Excel 2010 workbooks and co-authoring with Excel Web App.

Quote from:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/sharepoint-foundation-help/document-collaboration-and-co-authoring-HA101729921.aspx

Jaynet Zhang

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 2:22 AM
  • Hi,

Check whether there are any other user use the different version to open the documents.

When a user opens Word 2010 or PowerPoint 2010 document with Word or PowerPoint 2007, SharePoint 2010 creates a lock on the document and prevents other users of Microsoft Office 2010 from using co-authoring to edit that document. To take best advantage of co-authoring in Office Word or Office PowerPoint, it is recommended that all users work with Microsoft Office 2010. This situation also applies to Excel 2010 workbooks and co-authoring with Excel Web App.

Quote from:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/sharepoint-foundation-help/document-collaboration-and-co-authoring-HA101729921.aspx

Jaynet Zhang

The issue cannot be replicated by other users using 2010, so that seems to not be the answer. As far as I know, we have only used 2010 to open the documents. However, the company spans to various location across America and I can't say with 100% certainty that it hasn't been. Again, though, it isn't being recreated on the other PC's with 2010.
    Wednesday, May 9, 2012 12:12 PM
  • Hi Notcho,

Please try the following methods to narrow down the root cause:

Max Meng

• Marked as answer by Jaynet Zhang Thursday, May 17, 2012 8:36 AM
    Friday, May 11, 2012 2:52 PM