none
What determines partition sizing on a windows 10 version 1703 upgrade versus clean install?

Question

• There are multiple computers that I want to update from Windows 10 version 1607 to version 1703.

One computer so far was successful.  Another computer failed to update.

On google searches I learned that this may be related to inadequate partition sizing on 1607 versus 1703.

What determines the size of each partition when performed as a clean install and the operating system source is a windows 10 iso downloaded from the Microsoft web site?

What determines the size of each partition when windows 7 is factory installed and it was upgraded to windows 10 version 1511?  And then what determines the partition sizing when upgraded to version 1607?

Is the partition size based on the very first install and all other version upgrades can no longer impact the partition sizing?

When I had performed a clean boot I used a windows 10 iso and deleted partitions making an unallocated drive.  Then I used the windows 10 version 1607 as the installation media.  What is the default partition sizing for this version?

If you go to the Microsoft web site:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10?tduid=(0685e3b0cf4a66712589acc79c5334eb)(259740)(2542549)(UUwpUdUnU47287)()  and create a windows iso today 4/6/2017 will you be creating a windows 10 version 1607 or version 1703?   Is the 1703 only available after April 11 or can the iso be created today?

If I were to take this computer to a Microsoft store would they save the files then format the drive and install windows 1703 and then reinstall the files or would they perform a different method to get 1607 to 1703 where the drive partition inadequate size produces an error code?

Thursday, April 6, 2017 8:12 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Now, when we use media creation tool to download iso image file, what we can get is new 1703 version’s iso, not 1607.

In my opinion, you could use this tool to create a bootable USB drive to clean install Windows 1703 or download iso to install system

For partition size, please make sure the system partition has 20GB at least for 64-bit system. In my opinion, 30GB or bigger is enough and proper

When install 1703, we need to format system partition(it should be C disk generally), note backup your important data in advance.

There is a good article introducing some error code during system upgrade, please have a look.

Resolve Windows 10 upgrade errors : Technical information for IT Pros

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/windows/deploy/resolve-windows-10-upgrade-errors

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 7, 2017 2:58 AM
  • From the posted link I opened:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-specifications

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askcore/2016/01/21/using-the-windows-10-compatibility-reports-to-understand-upgrade-issues/

When this administrative command prompt was copied and pasted followed by enter

findstr /c:"CONX" C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\Panther\setupact.log  >"%userprofile%\Desktop\Setupactdetails.txt"

it displayed cannot open:  C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\Panther\setupact.logy

The last character in the above was a y with two dots above it.

I can't tell if there are any compatibility problems yet.  The computer is a notebook or mobile workstation.  It has a 750 GB internal hard drive with 32 GB flash cache that is used in RAID 0 configuration.

Disk management displays:

450 MB healthy recovery partition

100 MB healthy EFI System Partition

697.58 GB NTFS healthy Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition

510 MB healthy Recovery Partition

Is the 100 MB EFI System Partition of sufficient size?

I just checked the disk management on the computer that has already been upgraded to windows 10 version 1703.

It is a SSD drive and this computer is a internal HD with 32 GB flash cache RAID 0

These are the sizes:

450 GB healthy recovery partition

100 MB healthy EFI system partition

237.09  GB NTFS healthy boot, page file, crash dump, primary partition

849 MB healthy recovery partition

The files on this computers internal hard drive are very important and not yet backed up. 

In the picture above is this the appropriate information on error code 0xc1900200?

Is there so type of incompatibility?  What could that be?  Or is this an error code that is too broad?

I was hoping to troubleshoot and problem solve current control panel reliability history and stability problems, boot hands, etc with a windows version update.

What else can be done without a clean install since the files are not yet backed up?  Also I have not yet done a restoration of files after clean boot and don't know how to properly reorganize the files.

Doesn't the partition sizing on the problematic drive appear to be similar in size to the successful drive?

What else could be the source of error 0xc1900200?

I called HP and the technician did a google search and told me that he read that the problem is insufficient space or EFI system reserve partition.  He said he read that the solution is to download the mini tool partition wizard and extend from 100 to 250 MB.  He said that he had zero experience in doing this and that he only read what he saw in this google search result.

this is another link that I found:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/solving-the-free-space-problem-on-microsoft-system/81efa0b8-5f89-4f72-b24b-349b692f1f02

Please comment on it.

The author indicated that drives of the same size can be different depending on the manufacturer.  I didn't understand that as the partition size is such a small fragment of the whole drive and it has its own size.  If it is manufacturer related the internal hard drive is Hitachi.  The successful upgrade is a SSD drive.  The manufacturer I have not yet checked.  Both drives when viewed with disk management are 100 MB.

Friday, April 7, 2017 11:02 AM
  • The windows 10 version 1607 had two clean installs in a Microsoft store in March 2017.  The panther log analysis indicated that there was insufficient free space on the partition.  Nobody has been able to figure out what was filling the partition after the two clean installs.

A different error code but similar problem/solution was found on this link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3086249/-we-couldn-t-update-system-reserved-partition-error-installing-windows-10

The steps were followed for windows 8 GPT partition.

The installation of windows 10 using a bootable windows 10 iso was only partially successful.  The operating system was able to be installed without any error codes after partition resizing.  However the partition resizing made the internal hard drive dirty. 

During the windows 10 1703 installation there were multiple reboots.  During the first reboot if you were not watching the monitor the tip to problem likely would have been missed.  It had displayed the option to skip disk checking after boot.

The option to skip disk checking after boot alerted me to run a chkdsk after the full installation.  Once on the desktop I opened administrative command prompt and ran chkdsk.  It displayed multiple corrupt and orphaned files.  A chkdsk /f /r was ran.

Then chkdsk /f/ r ran 5 and 1/2 hours on a 750 GB internal hard drive and when it did not boot to desktop.  Instead it booted to windows advanced troubleshoting menu and had indicated that windows did not restart properly.

A clean install was then performed using the same bootable windows 10 iso.  Diskpart was used first to list disk and then delete the volume.  Then the installation was performed.  It booted to desktop and chkdsk displayed no problems.  Drivers and applications were reinstalled.  Now the user files and folders are being copied to the desktop.

Friday, April 21, 2017 7:13 AM
  • Thanks for your updating, I am glad to hear that you have found out a good way to let the user files and folders are being copied to the desktop.

Please mark your reply to close this case.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 28, 2017 7:49 AM
  • I found the link that was used to fix the problems with the partition size.

This link may enable others that have drive partition issues when attempting upgrades to windows 10 version 1703.

Using the section for windows 8.1 for GPT partition the free space was increased by removing a language folder.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3086249/-we-couldn-t-update-system-reserved-partition-error-installing-windows-10

Sunday, April 30, 2017 8:00 AM