Why upgrade SCCM client agents after Server Side 1511 upgrade RRS feed

• Question

• We have SCCM 2012 R2 environment and planning to move to CM 1511. We have about 10000 client machines in the environment. Now once the Server side gets upgraded to CM 1511, I hope the clients with older version would keep communicating with new version server.

I mean..... SCCM 2012 / SCCM 2012 R2 clients communicating with Server Side CM 1511...

I hope we would be able to do general SCCM Application deployment and Patch Management on to the machines... Please confirm

What would be the disadvantages of not upgrading the client machines to 1511 version. what all we will loose as functionality at the client side.

Thanks,

Pawan

Wednesday, April 13, 2016 8:52 PM

Answers

• Disadvantages include it not being supported for long term use, not taking advantage of any bug fixes, and not being able to use any new, client specific features (I don't think that there any definitive public lists for these last two but that doesn't mean they aren't there).

Why would you not push out the latest agent version? It makes no sense not to.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

• Proposed as answer by Frank Dong Thursday, April 14, 2016 5:56 AM
    • Marked as answer by Frank Dong Monday, May 9, 2016 9:49 AM
    Thursday, April 14, 2016 12:51 AM

All replies

• Disadvantages include it not being supported for long term use, not taking advantage of any bug fixes, and not being able to use any new, client specific features (I don't think that there any definitive public lists for these last two but that doesn't mean they aren't there).

Why would you not push out the latest agent version? It makes no sense not to.

• Proposed as answer by Frank Dong Thursday, April 14, 2016 5:56 AM
    • Marked as answer by Frank Dong Monday, May 9, 2016 9:49 AM
    Thursday, April 14, 2016 12:51 AM
  • And I would also upgrade to 1602 as soon as possible and upgrade clients directly from 2012 to 1602.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Thursday, April 14, 2016 6:17 AM
  • Hi Torsten,

Thanks for your reply. We have PKI environment and would like to first test few client upgrades before mass client upgrade.

My Basic question still remain unanswered : If I do not upgrade the client at this time and plan to do after a month, will that effect my capability to deploy applications and Patches to the client machines from 1511 Primary and Secondary servers.....?

Thanks,

Pawan.

Thursday, April 14, 2016 1:48 PM
  • Hi Jason,

Thanks for your reply. We have PKI environment and would like to first test few client upgrades before mass client upgrade.

My Basic question still remain unanswered : If I do not upgrade the client at this time and plan to do after a month, will that effect my capability to deploy applications and Patches to the client machines from 1511 Primary and Secondary servers.....?

Thanks,

Pawan

Thursday, April 14, 2016 1:48 PM
  • Testing is fine and prudent and easy to accomplish using the new client auto upgrade staging feature in 1602 or by simply using a manual client push in previous versions.

Normal functionality will remain with down-level clients -- honestly, it would be stupid if it didn't since any non-trivial organization would not be able to upgrade all of their clients at a single time whether they wanted to or not.

As noted though, using down-level client versions is not intended for long term use so you should have a solid plan in place for upgrading them all.

• Marked as answer by Pawan Bhasin Thursday, April 14, 2016 3:06 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Pawan Bhasin Thursday, April 14, 2016 3:07 PM
    Thursday, April 14, 2016 1:58 PM
  • Hi Jason,

I 100% agree what you are saying.... but we want to do this in two phases :

- Server Side upgrade... make it stable

- Client Side upgrade..

When we upgrade from other version of SCCM to next level... client communications keeps happening and I have practically seen that in other environments... but my Management wants me to get some Microsoft Doc or something which says the same....  ( Preferably for 1511 )

Do you have any Link which talks about this.... Please let me  know

Thanks for your support and time in this regard.

Pawan

Thursday, April 14, 2016 2:52 PM
  • Nope, I don't know of any documentation off hand. That doesn't mean that there isn't any, just I don't know of it. Have you reviewed the ConfigMgr upgrade documentation on TechNet?

Many, many things are not documented -- in fact, there are more things not documented than are documented so you may not find this explicitly stated anywhere.

Thursday, April 14, 2016 2:57 PM
  • Hmm... Thanks Again Jason for your replies. Appreciated.

Pawan.

Thursday, April 14, 2016 3:06 PM
  • ANYONE......

Please let me know if anyone is aware of any link which confirms that client would work properly after Server side upgrade is done  ( CM 1511 )

Thank you all..

Pawan.

Thursday, April 14, 2016 4:22 PM
  • ANYONE......

Please let me know if anyone is aware of any link which confirms that client would work properly after Server side upgrade is done  ( CM 1511 )

Thank you all..

Dear Sir,

Haven't found anything that exactly describe your scenario, but below:

"After you upgrade a primary site, plan to upgrade clients that are assigned to that site. Although a Configuration Manager primary site or secondary site can support communication from clients that have a lower service pack version, this communication should be a temporary configuration. Clients that run a previous service pack version of Configuration Manager cannot use the new functionality that is available with the new service pack version of Configuration Manager."

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj822981.aspx

Best regards

Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Saturday, April 23, 2016 12:22 PM
  • We had the exact same question thanks for posting this. 

What did you guys decide on?

Did you have any issues waiting to upgrade the clients? or are you still in the planning phase?

Thanks

Mike.

Thursday, June 2, 2016 5:46 PM