Error 1355 - The specified domain either does not exists etc... RRS feed

• Question

•  

This error happens when creating a AD management agent pointing to another forest. I 've read here that this is a DNS-related error. Can it have another cause?

Here is my environment: Forest A with MIIS in it and Forest B. I have set up a DNS zone transfer from Forest B to Forest A - so every DNS-Information from Forest B can be found on the DNS-servers in Forest A. Zone transfer is working without errors. This can be proved - a nslookup in Forest A with a "ls -d -command" shows all infos from the DNS-zone in forest B.

I tried to run the miisdcinfo-tool from the resource kit, but this gives me simply a "No domain controller is available or the domain does not exists" when entering the name of Forest B under "Directory Partition".

The domain controllers in Forest B are reachable on port 88, 389, 464.

What else can I check?

Thanks for your answers

Thursday, April 17, 2008 10:10 AM

Answers

All replies

• Michael,

have you tried to use the IP address of the target DC?

If that works, you still have a DNS problem..

(See a post of Markus on : http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/MMSUG/message/6208)

HTH,

Peter

Thursday, April 17, 2008 10:27 AM
  • Michael,

did you also check that the account specified in the ADMA connection info has the "Replicating Directory Changes"?

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=303972

HTH,
    Peter

Thursday, April 17, 2008 10:36 AM
  •  

That is weird! I added the ip addresses of the dcs (as preferred domain controllers) of the target forest and it works! Thanks for the hint!
    Thursday, April 17, 2008 11:56 AM
  • Usually I install DNS on the MIIS server and setup up a forwarder to the other domain...

HTH,

Joe

Monday, April 21, 2008 6:48 PM
  • Hi,

we can do this in two ways 

1)Add the host name and ip addres of the targe doman controller in the host entry of the ILM server, 

the host file is located at "c:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts" this will resolve the domain controller name of the target domain.

2) Add the  dns server ip address of the target  doamin controller in the advance TCP/IP settings.

Thursday, September 17, 2009 3:01 PM